Smallest tank for seahorses

viper_930

For dwarf seahorses you can go with <10 gallons, but you'll need to feed dwarves live baby brine shrimp.
For any other type of readily available pony I would recommend a minimum of 20-30 gallons for adults depending on what species you want.

poniegirl

In a 20 gal long, no other fish, 2 horses of the same gender.
Seahorses are not a fish you just throw some food in for. Research carefully.

viper_930

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
In a 20 gal long, no other fish, 2 horses of the same gender.
I hope you meant 20 gal tall, not long. :thinking:

poniegirl

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
I hope you meant 20 gal tall, not long. :thinking:
20 tall, if mating is a goal. Seahorses don't use a lot of vertical space. That's why I specify of the same gender. And NO tankmates in that size.
20Gallon's profile says that is the tank they have. I'm assuming that is they tank they are wondering about.

20gallon

No I'd get a different tank, my 20 long is already a reef with fish & Corals. Guy at the store I go to has some in a 10 gallon & was pondering the idea of doing them, they seem to be high maintenance so I may be holding off on them.

reefkprz

dwarf sea horses could go in a ten if set up right. if you get dwarfs DO NOT USE LIVE ROCK! too many hitchikers and your sea horses will suffer for it. good luck and do a lot of research.

poniegirl

Originally Posted by 20Gallon
No I'd get a different tank, my 20 long is already a reef with fish & Corals. Guy at the store I go to has some in a 10 gallon & was pondering the idea of doing them, they seem to be high maintenance so I may be holding off on them.
If you do decide to, and plan to try to breed (not an easy experience, I love horses, but would not want to breed them) you need a tall tank.
Keep in mind that most setups at LFS are for short term until the animals sell.