Smallest Tank

carvainw

What is the smallest tank one can use for saltwater? I know the common answer is 55 gallon, but are there people out there that have had success with smaller? I have a 30, and have not had much success with it. I think I had too much live rock in it and the phosphates went too high. I have an eclipse hood which doesn't allow a skimmer to be attached. I am looking to trade or sell my tank but have not had any luck with that either.

Size does not really matter. Except that a smaller tank is more work and a LARGER tank is more work. 45 to maybe 75 I think is a better size to mantain.
I have one tank that is 5.5 gallons. It is more work to keep it stable than my 46 gallon.
As for live rock, you can never have too much. The phosphates are probably coming in with the water you use or the salt.
Adam

ilove2ride

I have an eclipse hood which doesn't allow a skimmer to be attached.
Just so you know, I have an Eclipse hood and I added a BakPak 2 using a dremmel tool, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

flobskey

I have a 29 gal. eclips also. It's perfect for me.
How did you get the skimmer on, can you send pics? What kind of skimmer did you use?

robbytt

I have a FOwLRLS tank and have had great success in it for the past three years.
I have about 20 lbs of LR and 1.5" of LS. The tank is tough to keep at the right levels but it helps I've always used RO/DI water. I run really little filtration besides a bio wheel. Just move the water around with power heads...no protein skimmer either!
I've only really kept hardy fish (eel, trigger, lion, etc) but they've all been money.
I've seen nano-reef setups but taht looks plain crazy.
The 30G takes more time (than I have right now -- just started work) which is why I want to move to something bigger. see post above.
HTH

rblovell

I have a 30 gallon with an eclipse hood. I have had no problems with it yet. Going on 10 weeks. All of my water levels are perfect.

ilove2ride

I heard that SeaClones as well can work on the Eclipse II. JWTrojan I think has pics. Try doing a search in the DIY form about
"Eclipse Upgrade"
I have my BakPak on the left side if you face the tank from the front. The first cut goes under the light hindge, almost all the way. If the BakPak was any larger it would not work because you can't cut the hinge. Now, it sits from the hindge all the way back to the hood, by the corner. Sorry I can't take any pictures now. But, unlike what I thought before it is possible. The cut and prep work takes about 2-3 hours. I used a dremmel tool with a new blade.
Good Luck.

kev

When you say you have problems with you 30, what kind of problems are we talkin? Phosphates aren't a big deal to fix, just use RO water... The only SW tanks I've ever had in my entire 3 years of keeping were a 20 and a 10. They have both done great, with minimal maintniace... :confused:

The smallest tank i have seen was a 5 gallon. It was perfect for a hermit crab and a neon gobie , and a catalina goby. Neat little tank for an office :)

fishycouple

I too have a 29 gallon with the eclipse filter/hood. I added the retrofit PC light kit and added the Back-Pac skimmer to the left side also. The skimmer makes it impossible to open the large part of the lid, but the smaller flap opens just fine.
The skimmer comes off easily so if I need to perform major maintainance I can open the large opening.
I needed to add length to both the pick-up and the discharge of the back pac. It works wonderfully!
29 gal eclipse
Back-Pac 2 skimmer
40 lbs live rock
20 lbs live sand
gold maroon clown
diamond sleeper gobie
royal gramma
several snails and hermits
about 10 tiny starfish (don't know where they came from):rolleyes:

carvainw

The problem I had was that the fish was staying at the top and not breathing. I asked my lfs and he said that there was no oxygen in the water because my phosphates were high. Now I know that its my water. I have heard that Cleveland water is bad. Thanks everyone for the info!!