smoking clam

ricks280

hello everyone,
just picked up a clam today it opened up and i just noticed( 6 hours later) that its realising a white fogie substance (looks like smoke) from its little opening is this normal? i havent kept clams before so im a bit lost, it has been very hard to get clams in the last six months since one of the to collectors from australias top end was taken by a croc!

any comments welcome :notsure:
(rick)

misty7850

Clam with a bad habit.. Sorry, I couldn't resist.. LOL..
BTW, Nice pictures, sorry, I don't know what the smoke is, maybe stressed ? from acclimation ?

ricks280

...................................................................................................................................

yosemite sam

Dang....nice clam!!!! How big is it? It could be spawning. I've seen some photos of that happening in people's tanks. Apparently temperature can trigger the release of eggs - maybe it got a little warm on the way to your home?

rberhow

It is releasing gametes into the water which is an indication of stress, completely normal on its first day in new surroundings. Watch your water parameters as this can cause an ammonia spike. Do you have any other clams? Sometimes, when one starts, the others sense it and think its time to "procreate" and start as well and then you will definitely need to be prepared for a water change. Nice looking clam, BTW. There is a very good article that I have saved on my laptop. When I'm on it later, I will post it. It is very interesting read and very helpful.

ricks280

nany thanks for your responses,
its ok now.
rberhow, i would be very interested in reading the article that you mentioned thanks in advance.
(rick)

rberhow

Here is that link to that awesome article. This is a guy who basically devotes his life to his tank and researches everything. This is most definitely not a commercial site, just a fellow hobbyist, so hopefully it will be ok to post here. Just click on the drop down menu on the bottom and you will learn all you ever wanted to know. Let me know what you think. *The site contained linkes to other forums and has been removed*