Smoking Snails??

goodwin9

I am wondering if anyone had ever had this happen in their tanks. The majority of the snails in my tanks crawled on top of the rocks and began sending smoke signals or something. I have never seen this happen before in any of my tanks. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

nigerian

I wanna know what it is too!! I've seen it come from my live rock and snails. I'm thinkin it's urine lol. I dunno.

B

bkneeland

I have noticed it in my tank once in a while....Dont really know what it was or who it was from, just that it looked strange!

browniebuck

have you added sand to your tank (or stirred up your sand) since you added your rock? I am thinking that it may be sand/dust that has settled on the rock and is disturbed by the snails (I know that they don't move that fast...but it is what I think it is). This could especially happen if you, as I did with my first tank, didn't rinse your sand before adding it.

sexyfishers

my chocolate chip star was "smoking" a couple of weeks ago. It lasted a few hours and then stopped. My salanity is u there around 1.026, so it was a tad weird. Then I thought,, hummm.. maybe he is pooping.? haha. okay either way, strange.

sexyfishers

also, just for the record, he was at the top of the tank- on the glass- so I know it was him and not the rock or the sand.