smoothounds ???

I have been looking into possible getting a larger tank and keeping just a couple smoothhounds and maybe an eel. First off what size tank would I need? Secondly does anyone have pictures of thier smoothounds? Every site I go to has the shark, but no pictures, and all the pictures on the net I've found were of them out of water.

jim27

It all depends on how long you plan to keep the smoothhounds and how many you want. If you're keeping large ones(2'-3') or plan on keeping the sharks for life then around 2000+ gallons would probably be ok.
If you know of a place or person that can take the sharks from you when they get too big you could get them as babies and keep them in something like a 200-300g. That would work for a few years. Only do this if you have a new home lined up before you get the sharks though.
HTH

smoothounds

I have two smoothounds in a 450 gallon tank and am having a similar one made. They are about 24" now and are more than happy in my tank. Just make sure your new tank has a nice size footprint. Mine is 8ft x 3ft. The smoothounds really dont grow to be all that big. My friend has one that is 7 or 8 years old and he is just a bit bigger than mine. My tank would be more than suitable for him. Good Luck!