snail & crabs

amxdude

I can find very little info on the number of snails & crabs i can use in my tank. I have a 29 gallon that i just set up ( waiting to add things until the cycle is over ) i have aprox 25 pounds of live sand & aprox 10 pounds of cured ( slowing growing in to live rock ) rock. I plan to have no more than 5 fish ( a few damsels & a clown ). i was wondering if i added about 20 hermit crabs ( mix of red & blue legged ) 10 turbo snails, 1 coral banded shrimp,& a few (1 or 2) emerald crabs if this would be an over load , or not enough. my goal is to have a easy to maintain system. any info or input on my plans would be wonderful. this is my 1st saltwater tank, so the more info on this question the better

ruaround

You have pretty much described a great clean-up crew for 20 to 50 gallons. Did you check out SWF.com's Reef packages??? There are some great deals and a few are basically what youre lookin for...

susiepan

amxdude,
Hi.Amd Welcome..You really dont need a clean up-crew just yet..You have nothing to clean up...IMO (in my opinion) I would wait until you had some fish in there for about 3-6 weeks, before purchasing one..,depending on what you get...so they dont starve..
I pruchased my clean-up crew here at this site, and the are wonderful to talk/deal with...I have NEVER had a problem here at this site...The gentleman I spoke with worked with me to get exactly what I wanted, and was even willing to trade off one thing, and change it for another,,,
Fair warning, the Trochus snails(turbos) are HUGE..not just big...but HUGE..and was in great shape..Everything survived except 1 Bumble Bee snail, and one Trochus, because it feel off a pc of rock, and before it could right itself, my hermits and a bristle worm ate it..The pigs they are. and it pisses me off, becasue I feed the clawed critters seperately...Well anyway GL in your choice, and tank
~Susie ;)

crazyelvis

AMX,
First off I would try and add some more live rock if you have the funds for it...Maybe 10lbs or so... This will help your tank with it's filteration...
As far as the crew goes you have a pretty good plan... I would only get the one Emerald Crab if I were you... And remember he will need some meaty food once and awhile...
Also consider 1 or 2 Peperment Shrimp, they have done a good job in my tank...

teatime

I put my clean up crew in after 2 weeks because I was getting that brown alge. I read 1 snail or hermit per gal. I have not lost any of mine yet(almost 2 months)and they seem Ok to me.

amxdude

Thanks all for the info i did plan on adding the clean up crew in a few weeks & will take the advise on more live rock.