snail id please?[

keebler

I asked for some nass snails and they produced the only snail in the place and sold me it. I figured the worst thing that could happen is I find out it is bad and have to return it. Well the worst thing that could happen happened. But no big deal. The lfs in muncie do suck. I have never bought fish or inverts from this place before and will never do it again. This place was good for equipment though. The only good lfs in all of muncie really isn't all that great because their selection is limited, but what they do have is taken care of by people who know what they are doing...so that's good.

texasmetal

For what it's worth it does look like a jumbo nassarius, but they have a long foot with two "feelers" on the backs, so that does look more like a conch's foot... and their "trunk" is always white.

keebler

I'm considering putting it in the tank just to see if it eats algae, but then again I may never get it back out.

keebler

Can't wait to go in there tomorrow and tell them that they sold me a snail-killing conch. I wonder how they will react.

luca brasi

I immediately thought conch also and it may be. But I just got a emailer from blue zoo aquatic and the Tonga Nassarius Snails they have look like yours.

coraljunky

Originally Posted by Luca Brasi
http:///forum/post/2700067
I immediately thought conch also and it may be. But I just got a emailer from blue zoo aquatic and the Tonga Nassarius Snails they have look like yours.
I agree, but it's too close to call. I wouldn't chance it. Do you have a fuge it can stay in until a positive id is made?

luca brasi

Originally Posted by coraljunky
http:///forum/post/2700072
I agree, but it's too close to call. I wouldn't chance it. Do you have a fuge it can stay in until a positive id is made?
I agree. Maybe in the fuge and put a snail near to see what happens.

keebler

Well, I am in the process of building a fuge...so is it okay to put in the dt on account of I have no other snails and then put it in the fuge after the fuge is built and then sacrifice a snail to find out? Or should I just return it?

texasmetal

If it's a nassarius it will have two tiny "feelers" coming off both the front and back of its foot. I'd keep it if you have no snails. Then put it in the fuge when you get it finished.

keebler

Well, I'm going back to the store tomorrow. And I am thinking of keeping it, but what will it eat and won't it outgrow the fuge and does it serve any purpose...etc. If it won't outgrow it and it does have a purpose, I'll keep it otherwise I won't. It definitely just has a round foot and it's snout is black.

keebler

I think it would be easier if I just returned the little guy. I need some snails though. I will have to tell them to get me some.