Snails Ahhh

dmack

I adopted some live rock from a friend of a friend... I cured it, so i thought, put it in my tank and a month later I have little snails everywhere! I also gave some of the rock to a family member and there tank is now infested with snails also. I know that snails are a good thing, but my plan was to start with a small tank, see how i was going to like it, then move to a bigger tank. Now that i am ready to invest in a bigger tank, is there a way to get rid of the snails other than buying all new rock and doing away with what i have? If i do have to buy new rock how would I go about moving my mushrooms to new rock? Help please!

dmack

because there are snails everywhere. Right now i have a 30 gal. tank and I have about 100 to 150 little snails

ophiura

Most of the time these are desirable...they exist based on the food available, and will die or "bloom" based on that. I wouldn't get rid of them...I can't understand why you would bother, to be honest. They are considered to be highly beneficial, and will control their own population.
It is not quite like freshwater nuissance snails in planted tanks...that's a different deal altogether. But if you have something like the Collonista (posted above
) those are cool.
Heck if you are in a big enough town with a reef club, people may be happy to have some. I would definitely not spare another thought about these...there is no reason to at all. Many things in new tanks will bloom and then die off. I used to have a lot of those snails too and now most are gone.

cranberry

Yes! When you have too many that it becomes bothersome.... share! I had limpets everywhere so that I had to give them away as well.

dmack

No, the snails i have look nothing like the ones pictured. The shell is longer than it is tall, their body extends from both end as if their shell is too small. I tried to take a photo, but with the camera I have, I can't focus in though the glass. Since adding the rock I also have little white spiral crustations on all surfaces, glass, rocks, and filters.

cranberry

They are beneficial snails as well. And their numbers can get out of hand at times. Peeps would like to have them. I share them around my tanks.

dmack

Thanks for putting aname to the face Cranberry. Now that i know what i have i can do a little research for myself. again thanks.

ophiura

The spirals are spirorbid worms, also harmless. These things all bloom in new tanks and are normal, natural and even beneficial. It is the first of many things and why we use LR at all.

dustyboy316

I've got some of these snails too. I love them... I can only see 3 right now though.
I also have some amphipods growing. It's definetely releaving to see this happening to me. It's a good sign the tank is in health and that I'm ready to start adding my CUC.