snails climbing out of water!!

shroomie2u

can anyone tell me why my snails are all going for the top of the tank? there isn't any algea up there, a lil hair algea on the live rock, but why would they be climbling outta the water??

my ph is a lil low and my nitrites are a lil elevated but i been using Prime to bring it down.....confusing as always with SW

shroomie2u

thank u so much!!! my tank has been so much trouble these past 2 weeks i just figured they was trying to escape!!!!!
actually, turning on the blue light seems to make them move a lil more....interesting.
ok thanks for the help!!!

silverdak

not trying to thread jack.. but one of my snails is almost out of the water... and on the filter.... is the filter "sucking the life out of him?"

renogaw

some snails, such as periwinkles, are tidal snails. they will climb out of the water and close up until the tide comes back in. if your snails are doing this, try to figure out what type of snails they are. if periwinkles, get rid of them, as they will breed to epic proportions in your tank.

barracuda1

the snail may be tidal, and if so, attempt to terminate if invasive, but if not it could just be trying to vent waste or clean under shell

shroomie2u

they are turbos i think. got them from LFS a few days ago. they are all over the top of the tank!
can't get a good pic of em.
they are moving alot tho and they seem ok.

silverdak

ya most LFS sell the turbos. all the ones in the fish store were turbos and were all at the top. at least in my case thats what I have noticed

invertcrazy

My turbos do it all the time(climb out of the water that is
)
Nothing to worry about, they'll go back in when they are ready

sepulatian

What are the SG readings in these tanks? How were the snails acclimated? Turbos will go to the top sometimes, but they don't hang out there for long. It is most common when they are first introduced.

silverdak

mine is 1.022 i beileve... slowly trying to rasie it without shocking the tank or anything. mine have only been in there for 4 days also.. 2 are on the bottom and one likes the top