Snails vs Snails

kimmisue

Hey guys quick question.
What is the difference between Astrea(sp) snails and Turbos?
Thanks for the help
Kim

b_ball12_99

(can't remember off top of head which) one can upright themselves when the fall and the other can't so they die unless they get flipped back over.

karlas

i have trochus snails and turbos the trochus are great alge eaters, very hardy, and can right themselves up when they fall. i like the turbos also. definitly check out the trochus :D

kimmisue

I just got 20 of them for my 55 and they are mowing the algae down. Before this I had the astrea's and they seemed to prefer the glass cleaning...not really staying on the rocks. These guys are really doing a great job.
Thanks
Kim :D

kimmisue

They say they are better glass cleaners but I have found just the opposite. Mine are on the rocks and are really mowing the algea down. These guys are about a inch in diam. with a rounded shell..very nice to see in the tank because they are covered in coraline..
What a great way to take care of a stupid mistake..I over fed Sun Corals...
Never Again
Kim
:D

D

diatom

Jakob~
I don't believe that they possess the necessary anatomy to clear off any corrline. They certainly don't eat any of mine that I've noticed and mine are almost all farily large.

fshhub

it seems as though (maybe) they do eat some coraline, but in our tank, they don't seem to work ont it very hard at all, once in a while maybe a little, they have not put a dent in it at all they seem to just work on the garbage stuff

karlas

the turbos seemed to do a great job on the film alge the trochus tore up the brown hair and film alge pretty good also :D