Snails

cbshark

Does anyone know of any snails that are dangerous to a reef tank? I have a snail (about 1" shell length) that must have been attached to the underside of a piece of live rock I purchased and i'm not sure what it is. I will try to get a photo of it and post it. It has a shell like a whelk and a protruding mouth? from the end like a bumblebee snail. It hasn't seemed to damage anything but I would like to be safe. Thanks.

T

thomas712

The Naticidae (moon snails) — seven radular teeth per row, all boring predators on other mollusks. They have planktonic larvae. Shell characters: The shell is globose with a smoothly rounded appearance. There is often a gray or brownish flaky layer on the shell. This is a protein layer called “the periostracum.” They all lack any hint of siphon or spout on front of the shell.
The “Stenoglossa” (whelks) — three radular teeth per row, all boring predators or scavengers; most have no planktonic larvae. Many are exceptionally beautiful! They are characterized by having an extended siphon or spout on the shell. But be aware that some harmless animals, such as queen conchs (Strombus gigas) also have a short siphon. They often have extensive ridges along the length of the body. They have a protein or horny operculum that plugs the aperture on their withdrawal into the shell.
The “Toxoglossa” or “Conacea” (venomous gastropods) — five, three or two radular teeth per row (Shimek and Kohn 1981). All have the venom apparatus and all are predatory, with various methods. Many have planktonic larvae. There are two basic types, the cone snails and the turrid snails. The cone snails are the easiest to identify. The top of the shell is typically flat or slightly pointed, and the aperture forms a narrow slit formed by an outer edge that is parallel to the main body of the snail. If the animal is active, the foot is narrow and locomotion is slow. If the animal is basically conical, but the aperture flares near the front end, and if the shell pattern is basically brownish or reddish fine lines on a white, tan or yellow background, the animal is possibly one whose venom is lethal to humans (Kohn 1958).

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You might also want to post this over in the REEF forum where snails are discussed extensively.
A lot of snails come in as hitchhikers and are pretty harmless. In fact, most are beneficial.