Snake's Method for Cyanobacteria Treatment

snakeblitz33

Cyanobacteria is one of the oldest living organisms on Earth. It was first created 4.4 Billion years ago! It's been around so long, that it does something very unique: It produces and consumes it's own fertilizer! That's right! No matter how many water changes you do, cyanobacteria will keep producing it's own nitrate to live off of. That is why it's been trouble for many aquarists over the years. If you are reading this, then I'm assuming you have a cyanobacteria problem. You've come to the right place!
Cyanobacteria need a few things in order to survive: Moist/wet place, light source, nutrients, and low flow. As aquarists, we have total control over the conditions of our aquarium. Because of this, cyanobacteria is something that can be conquered. First of all, here are a few guidelines to start with that every aquarist should already do:
1. Start the aquarium with a high grade salt, with pure water from a Reverse Osmosis Unit or from distilled water. There are several pure water supply places... they include Wal-Mart, a water store, or even from your own purchased Reverse Osmosis unit.
2. Only use pure water, distilled or RO for your top off water. Salt does not evaporate, so only add freshwater to your saltwater aquarium when the water level gets low.
3. Feed high quality foods. Frozen foods are considered “gourmet” while pellet foods would be considered “fast food” and flake food is considered “potato chips.” The quality of your food should be high so you feed less.
4. Rinse all of your frozen foods in a net/mesh to get the “juice” out which only contributes to nitrate and phosphate.
5. Use a light timer on a set schedule.
Here's a few things you can do to overcome cyanobacteria:
[*]
The most significant thing you can do is add more flow to your tank. Add a powerhead that blows across the tank and the afflicted area. This will keep the cyano from being able to be formed properly, and it keeps detritus from building up and from food getting caught in it. Flow is the most important part about the treatment of cyano.
[*]
Decrease your lighting schedule. Usually, most aquariums, including reef aquariums do very well with just 8 hours a day of light. (10 hours if you include actinic dawn and dusk features.) Put your lights on timers. If you can, reduce your lighting as much as you can.
Do proper, scheduled water changes to reduce your overall nitrate and phosphate levels.
Use a turkey baster to suck up and/or blast cyano off your rocks and substrate. It's better to remove the cyano from the tank, rather then blasting it around. Therefore, it would be better to suck it into the baster rather then blow it off the rocks.
Use an algae scrubber to scrub your water clean. The cleaner your water, the less nutrients algae, cyano, and other nuisances have to grow.
li>
[*]
Use a protein skimmer that will remove particulate organic matter before it has a chance to break down into nitrate and phosphate. The cleaner your water is, the less chance it has to grow nuisances.
[*]
Gravel vac your crushed coral on a regular basis. You would be surprised how much waste it builds up over time. This waste can contribute to excess nitrate and phosphate.
If you have a small outbreak, consider using an antibiotic product, and read and follow the directions very carefully. By using an antibiotic on tanks that are extremely afflicted, it has been known to cause tank crashes.
Feed less food for a few weeks. Your fish and corals will be fine.

snakeblitz33

I will add directions and thoughts to this as my methods change. This is generally how I handle cyano outbreaks. It's worked for me over the years every time I've had to deal with them.
The last cyano outbreak I had in a tank, I treated it with the use of an algae scrubber. The cyano went grey and died in a month after using an algae scrubber with no additional flow in the display tank. I'm not sure if it was coincidence or not.

beaslbob

Gee all I ever do is kill the lights and stop feeding until the cyano clears
then resume with less duration lighting and feeding.
my .02

florida joe

My .02
Cyanobacteria are both photosynthetic, and nutrient (nitrates, phosphate.) dependent for growth. Deprive the cyano of both and you should rid your tank of it. One thing to remember is that cyano assimilates nitrates and phosphate. When you kill the cyano these two things get reintroduced into your tank. IMO it is best to syphon as much of the cyano out as you can. Before you start to starve it and have adequate water changes ready for dealing with the die off

snakeblitz33

Absolutely, joe. I'll edit the article to explain it in better detail and modify a step using a turkey baster to siphon it out instead of blast it off. That's what I meant. Lol. Thanks for the catch!

meowzer

I have tried all of the above.....ALL.....nothing ever worked so FINALLY I used red slime remover.....that worked in one tank
I bought CHemi-Clean then to use in the 225G.....I DID...and used it ONCE.....It got rid of the red, but I still have brown
....next waterchange I am cleaning sand

snakeblitz33

I had a few patches of cyano start building up in a spot in one tank, when I started running an algae scrubber, in two weeks it browned out and grayed up and became detritus. I'm not saying an algae scrubber is a cure all by any means. I just have had a lot of success with it (so far).

frankness

I have been battling cyano for the past three weeks.

• I use RO DI water

• I rinse my mysis in RO DI

• cut lighting to about 3 hours a day
    feeding lightly
    Syphoning it out
I have two maxi jet 1200 power heads and my canister return for flow on my 70 GAL tank. I am doing 15% water changes once a week. In my canister I am running chemi-pure and phosgaurd which I clean weekly as well. I will have a HOB skimmer added to the line up next week. I have a shallow sand bed so as I remove the cyano I lose more and more sand in the syphon .(Had 1.5 to 2 inches down to .5 to 1 inch) My question is do you think I should just syphon it all out and add new substrate since im almost there anyways ? If so should I use LS or regular sand and how deep should I go? In a few months(If I can get rid of this cyano) I plan on introducing some soft corals. Any thoughts ?

snakeblitz33

Sure. There is a lot you could do.
1 you need a lot more water flow in that 70g. A maxijet 1200 only puts out 295gph and it pretty much only squirts water like a water cannon. A koralia, tunze, oceanic or jbj powerhead has a greater area of flow. A 70g needs a minimum of 1400gph of flow. You have 590gph. Not enough to keep detritus from settling on rocks and in the substrate. You can't just put a couple squirt guns in your tank and expect to have the right flow patterns either.
2 improve your water quality by adding a decorative macroalgae to your display tank. Caulerpas are good for this. Just harvest it regularly. It can overgrow soft corals, so it has to be maintained. If you want to get rid of it, just add a tang or other herbivorous fish. Also, you should consider adding a refugium to your display tank. Either one in a sump or as a display tank. Put a squirt gun in the display fuge if you want chaeto.
3. Increase your protein skimming. If you dont have a skimmer, get a decent efficient one. Use it heavily.
4. If the above doesn't work, try a phosphate reactor. It will definitely help.

frankness

Cool if I get a koralia magnum 5 1650gph and use that with one of my maxi jets I should have enough flow? Also ordering Reef Octopus bh1000 HOB, and GPO with the media bag for my canister.

snakeblitz33

Cool if I get a koralia magnum 5 1650gph and use that with one of my maxi jets I should have enough flow? Also ordering Reef Octopus bh1000 HOB, and GPO with the media bag for my canister.

Two smaller powerheads totaling 1600gph would be better than one large one. It will cover more area and give a better flow pattern.
I would concentrate on not only flow rates and patterns but water quality.

reefkprz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/388801/snakes-method-for-cyanobacteria-treatment#post_3431123
1. Start the aquarium with a high grade salt, with pure water from a Reverse Osmosis Unit or from distilled water. There are several pure water supply places... they include Wal-Mart, a water store, or even from your own purchased Reverse Osmosis unit.
2. Only use pure water, distilled or RO for your top off water. Salt does not evaporate, so only add freshwater to your saltwater aquarium when the water level gets low.
3. Feed high quality foods. Frozen foods are considered “gourmet” while pellet foods would be considered “fast food” and flake food is considered “potato chips.” The quality of your food should be high so you feed less. Almost: let me share my views on foods: home made is gourmet since we can tailor the ingredients exactly to what we want, stock frozen is like a prepared meal you buy in the frozen section, pellet foods and flakes are both pretty much fast food or junk foods flakes are definitely worse off than pellets since the form of them allows faster leaching before consumption.
4. Rinse all of your frozen foods in a net/mesh to get the “juice” out which only contributes to nitrate and phosphate. I agree if you have a fowlr, but if you have a coral heavy tank you are throwing out all kinds of planktonic sized foods that your corals can consume. all those micron sized foods your corals love, if you have a good skimmer it will pull most of what your corals dont consume, just like phyto. have you ever tested the "juice" for phosphate?
5. Use a light timer on a set schedule.

so what is the cause of this out break? is it just cuz of the Moist/wet place, light source, nutrients, and low flow whats starts it? and then from there does just keep multiplying?

beaslbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles Tang http:///t/388801/snakes-method-for-cyanobacteria-treatment#post_3493011
so what is the cause of this out break? is it just cuz of the Moist/wet place, light source, nutrients, and low flow whats starts it? and then from there does just keep multiplying?
In the most general vastly oversimplified analysis, the conditions of the tank simply favor cyano over other things.
So my general vastly oversimplified solution is to kill the lights, stop adding food until the cyano dies off.
my .02

novahobbies

Just to add a notation.....the antibiotic treatments for cyano DO work for the most part for a "quick fix" while you're correcting the main problems, but be aware that they also drop the O2 levels in the tank as the dying cyano decomposes. I've seen it happen in an LFS tank when he did this to his seahorse display.
Any fish (e.g., the seahorses mentioned above!!) that needs high O2 content can be put in danger during slime remover treatments. You will want to add a bubbler or something to agitate the surface for gas exchange. Poor guy lost two horses overnight because of this, and he called me wondering why......

jonw59

is there any fish or invertebrate I can put in my tank that will eat the cyano off the rock, sand bed, or glass?

bang guy

Strombus gigas will eat Cyanobacteria off the sandbed and off the rock for as high as it can reach.
But it's better to siphon it out. Better yet to stop overfeeding and increase the waterflow.