Snapper ? tank size

earlybird

Someone in my area is almost giving away a 200g tank. Before I do anything I need some input. I really want to keep snappers eventually and maybe other agressive fish with LR.
Is a 200g large enough?

aquaknight

Do have any species in particular in mind? Of the two most commonly offered, the Emperor and the Threadfin, the Threadfin is the much better choice, it will adapt it's size better to a 200, reaching probably 1 1/2 to 2 feet. The Emporer, might reach over 3 feet, obviously way too big for a 200. The threadfin also has much more of a 'community' personality, vs. the Emporer, which will eat anything it pretty much wants too.
There's one more sometimes offered, the Macolor niger, I would just skip, juvi's don't have the best track records and they get really ugly as adults.

earlybird

I'm going to need a bigger tank. No snapper in mind yet. Was thinking about mangrove snappers caught locally but they have to be 12" to keep and can get up to 24" possibly larger but I've never caught one larger than 24".
Thanks.

aquaknight

LOL, used to keep those when I was a kid. Catch 'em off the bridge, run home, and plop 'em in the tank (they, uh, really didn't meet that 12" requirement nor was the tank anything like a 200 though
). I remember them being hardy, and willing to eat, and pretty much hassled any new addition to death (minus damsels of course).