snow flake eel

chrisd

I JUST BOUGHT A SNOW FLAKE EEL, HE IS ABOUT 1'6'' FEET LONG. HE HAS NOT TAKEN FOOD YET SINCE I HAVE HAD HIM AND IT HAS BEEN 2 DAYS. ALSO HE HAS BEEN SHAKING HIS HEAD AND TWICHING. ALMOST LIKE A COUGHT. HAS ANY ONE HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFOR, AND IF ANY ONE COULD JUST GIVE ME A LITTLE MORE INSITE ABOUT THEIR EEL'S BECASUE I AM NEW AT THIS

T

tattooedlife

I had a Snow Flake eel,they seem to be real hardy. Mine hid for the first couple of weeks, didn't eat much at all. (They can go weeks without eating, or at least mine did)
Once he got use to his new surroundings he ate about every thing that I dropped in the tank. He seemed to be real fond of strips of Krill.
Hope this helps a little....

markster

I had a much smaller snowflake once and it did take a week or so before it would eat. After it started eating, I could feed frozen squid, shrimp, or krill by hand or on a stick. Great pet, just make sure to not have any holes on the top of the aquarium, they love to explore what is outside of the tank.
It died six months later from starvation. These guys have strange eating habits. They will pig out over weeks and then stop for much longer...sometimes too long and they waste away on their own account. Hopefully that won't happen to you. Good luck!

the rock

the rock says...
agree with tatoo and ranger, you can also try using a feeder pole and place the food right in front of his face if its dead food, just give him time, he'll start eating eventually, make sure you have lots of rockwork for him to hide and feel comfortable in

I had one unfortunitly he just died had him for 8 months. Anyway, I would take tweesers and put the food in front of him and he would grab it up and take off. He loved shrimp from the grocery store also brine shrimp and silversides.
Originally posted by chrisd:
I JUST BOUGHT A SNOW FLAKE EEL, HE IS ABOUT 1'6'' FEET LONG. HE HAS NOT TAKEN FOOD YET SINCE I HAVE HAD HIM AND IT HAS BEEN 2 DAYS. ALSO HE HAS BEEN SHAKING HIS HEAD AND TWICHING. ALMOST LIKE A COUGHT. HAS ANY ONE HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFOR, AND IF ANY ONE COULD JUST GIVE ME A LITTLE MORE INSITE ABOUT THEIR EEL'S BECASUE I AM NEW AT THIS

denise melton

Originally posted by chrisd:

I have a snowflake eel, and he eats allthe time. The catch with mine is I half to hand feed him. I just break a piece of krill off and wave it in his face and he takes it and goes in his little hole. He usually comes back for seconds. I have had for almost a year and he has grown consideratly. He also likes that frozen red mush. I believe its a mixture of seaweed, mussels,clams, squid, and Im not sure what all else. Mine has never bit me hard or agressivly. He actually has a cool personality.Hope this helps you out. Good luck!!!!