Snow is more pure then the water that goes into my tank

blackjacktang

These are the readings I got from my TDS Meter and everything I tested.
Sink Water - 336ppm
Refrigerator Water - 110ppm
Store Bought Water I use for my tank - 16ppm
Snow - 10ppm
This rose the question...can i put melted snow in my tank if I take the snow from the top?

btldreef

Where the heck are you buying water that is reading 16ppm?
I won't put any water in my tank that is above 3-5ppm.

snakeblitz33

That's pretty funny.
I'de find out why the store bought water is 16ppm first and go from there...
Snow may have too many chemicals in it from factories polluting the atmosphere... You never know.
Just don't shovel the yellow snow. :D lol

travelerjp98

I would do it... I mean, it's better than everything else that you have...
... just don't buy that water again!

travelerjp98

I wouldn't be worried about transferring bacteria from snow to your tank... but... I would be concerned about other pollutants.. I don't know the things that the TDS meter doesn't pick up... do you live near a city or and factories?

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/389579/snow-is-more-pure-then-the-water-that-goes-into-my-tank#post_3444607
So are you saying to go get water that reads 16ppm instead of 10ppm?
Sure 10ppm is not great, but it's the best option that he has.....
I'm not saying that at all. And it's not the only option, he hasn't tested bottled water, looked into different stores, etc. Heck, my Brita gives me a TDS of less than 10...
If I recall correctly, he doesn't have a large tank. He could use distilled water with a lower TDS and not break the bank.

travelerjp98

Those are all great ideas... I was just saying that out of the 4 other water sources that he listed, snow is probably best.
Before he uses it, I would still want to know about his area a bit more... Highlands Ranch, CO, is quite close to a lot of urban areas.
On the other hand, there are a ton of national forests and non urban areas to the West of him.
In any case, the options that TL gave are definitely worth looking into.