Snowflake Eel and feeding

duke jjz

I have a 8" Snowflake Eel that always hangs out in the back of the tank. He hides during the day and at night I can see him pop out, but still stays behind the LR. My problem is that I can get back there to feed him.
Any ideas?? :thinking:

swfishonly

yeah i ahve the same problem i just bought my sfe yesterday and he stays in this rock and sticks his head out

moto757

When they are new, eels are pretty shy give him time and they will come out and swim around and let you know they are hungary

jr8budcar

I had the same problem with my sfe when i first got him. Trust me in time u will wish he would go in the rock!!! I feed mine with tongs (frozen krill and sardines). Have no fear he will come out when ready.

duke jjz

thanks for the insight... how long did it take for your eels?? I have had my SFE for a week now and was only able to spot feed him twice... should i be worried??

moto757

eels can go for a long time without eating they go through stages in there life like that but if you fed him twice this week that is not too bad for being new. I had my zebra about 4 days before I tried to feed him I didn't want to disturb him and let him get used to the tank and he has eaten fine ever since

fishntx

place some of his food on the bottom of the tank before lights out. he should come out and get it while you sleep. in time he will take food from you when he gets comfortable.