snowflake eel

mauler

How aggressive are they? what fish are they compatible with? How aggressive do they get as they mature?

trigger40

i have one my self and they are one of the more docile eels but they are still an eel lol. if you miss a day in feeding them they start to hunt for any fish they can swallow whole mine has eaten 4 fish. i tried doing some little fish like a cleaner wrass, bicolor dottie back, fire fish, and clowns but he ate them, even one of the clowns. but he wont toch any larger fish like triggers, angels, and even large tangs. but if you keep him feed you wont have any problems. as they get older they dont get meaner they just get bigger and can cause more damage.

mauler

So I'm guessing it would be fine with a hippo tang? It wouldn't go out of it's way to kill the tang just for fun would it?

mauler

Alright then I guess I'll keep him for now.
Thanks for the replys and jay0705 thanks for all your help.

trigger40

He's about a foot and I feed off a home made feeding rod
ok so he is still small. i would hand feed him while he is still small its fun even if he bites you. it dosent hurt for now but if he bites you when he is older thats a trip to the emergency room lol. if you feed your by hand he wil learn to come to your hand if i put my hand in my tank the eel will come to the top and use my fingers like a snake would use tree branches. the eel will then wait for food. the one i have right now is about a foot too but once he gets a few inches bigger im not putting my hand near that guy lol.

mauler

I've tried feeding him by hand and ever time he ignores the food completely and he bites me so I gave up on that but I might try again. Would you really need to go to the emergency room for s snowflake eel bite? I thought they had flat teeth?

trigger40

thats what happend to the gut at my lfs the eel thought his hand was food and it wouldent let go made a real mess of his hand. thats what i was told. if you already got him on the tongs then just keep him on them.

mauler

Man so they are viscous little things I guess. I'm definitely going to keep him on the tongs I'd like to be able to clean the tank with out jaws music playing in my head.

Jen831

I have a snowflake eel and he is pretty chill. Has never gone after my other fish on purpose. When there is food in the tank and he's hungry he kind of nips at them by accident seeing as they are pretty much blind. I got some bamboo skewers at the store and he eats off them with no problem. Just have to be careful not to accidentally poke him lol