Snowflake Eels and growth

roadie996

how fast does the snowflake eel grow? I've always wanted an Eel, but I don't want to just throw it into my tank and two months later its cramped for space and eaten all of my other fish! The local ***** and another private company has small eels (8 inch length) for sale. I'm assuming a 55 gallon would be the minimum for that size, but 75 to 100 would be more suitable.

salt life

Originally Posted by roadie996
http:///forum/post/3074997
how fast does the snowflake eel grow? I've always wanted an Eel, but I don't want to just throw it into my tank and two months later its cramped for space and eaten all of my other fish! The local ***** and another private company has small eels (8 inch length) for sale. I'm assuming a 55 gallon would be the minimum for that size, but 75 to 100 would be more suitable.
growth depends on water quality and how much you feed it. what size tank do you have? SFE's are more on the docile side so you really don't have to worry about it eating your fish as long as they are decent sized.

roadie996

I have a bow front 30 gallon tank currently. It was a ***** special, I believe marineland made the kit for them but I can't find the specs. I'm at work, I'd say its about 2 feet wide, 14 inches deep, 24 inches tall... something around that. All the other goodies inside are in my sig below. ***** only houses them with groupers and baby lionfish, while my other local store keeps them in a 75 gallon tank with other fish. My one clown fish scares me because he's so tiny. It eats and eats and eats but does not grow. (Appropriately he's named "shark bait"
)
I also don't want to overcrowd that tank. I think it may be close to, if not at, its inhabitant quota.
edit: just realized there is no sig, that's another wesbite - so here ya go:
30 gallon salt water 35lbs live rock - 2 Clown fish, 2 damsel, 1 hawkfish, 3 turbo snails, 1 conch, 4 peppermint shrimp (were MIA - now definitely eaten)

el guapo

The smaller ones will grow a little faster but as they age they will start to slow down . Mine went from about 6-7" to about a foot in less than a year . I think your 29 would be fine for a year or so .

roadie996

Excellent! i plan on having a MUCH larger tank within the next year (180g+). I also just visited my local store, and they have a few 65 and 75 gallon tanks that are used for sale. i'm waiting for a call to see what they're going for.

ironeagle2006

I got my SFE last November as a replacemnet for the one I lost in August when I lost power for about 3 days. Well I bought him at 20 inches he now is at 26 inches 8 months later and has gotten very territorial. Like to the point that even the Bully of the tank leaves him alone.

prime311

I wouldn't get an SFE in a tank that size. They can grow very fast. I bought mine as juvi about a year ago and he's well over a foot long now.

pllthtrggrfish

Originally Posted by roadie996
http:///forum/post/3074997
I think you'll be fine with a 55 gallon for sure.l ive seen people with them in 30gls. mines going to be in my 45 gallon with a few other fish and it will still have its space. its basically going to grow faster with better water and more food lol. if u have anything above a 50 gallon you will be fine i assure you

sanchoy

I bought my SFE when he was 8 inches 7 months ago. He is now almost 16 inches. These guys grow fast and eat alot.. Recently, My SFE has been even eating my algae seaweed sheets I lay for my tangs. I think it is the garlic in the seaweed that attracts him.
But they grow fast, he is even fatter now since he is also gulping all the seaweed. He is a hog.

rdub62

in approximately 4-5 months. my snowflake eel has grown from 5 inches to about 24+ inches.
i feed him every time he wants to eat...he normally comes out when i go to feed my other fish...sometimes he waits till later in the day to eat but i fed krill for a while...but then when he started wanting 2 and 3 per feeding i moved up to shrimp that i buy at local seafood supplier. he still only eats half at a time but a least 1 whole shrimp per day. on occasion as in once or twice a week i feed him squid. i add about 10 ghost shrimp to the tank every week (saltwater acclimated) he eats probably 2 of those / week. so given all the eating that mine does...he grows pretty slow considering all he does is roll around in the sand all day xD.

sean48183

Mine is 2' long and lives in a big conch shell in my 150g. Wraps his long fat body up in this shell somehow. He would be fine for space in your 30g but waste and water quality might be a problem.

ironeagle2006

Watch when they get larger they can become MEAN. Here is a list of fish mine has KILLED because they got in his way or he I think it was because they looked like him in color. 5 Inch Koran angel got in his way one night when he was hungry there was a hunk of squid on the feeding stick and he wanted it. The angel lost his gills on that one. 3 inch 3 stripe Damsel bitten in HALF. 4 inch Clarki Clown he IIRC really screwed up he bit the SFE. Worse one though had to be the 5 inch Huma Huma the eel flat out destroyed him and then ate the remains. That 5 inch trigger was so nasty he was keeping me from putting anything into the tank. Not anymore. Yet as long as the other fish leave the eel alone he is fine.

sanchoy

Wow a 5 inch Huma gettiing eaten by a SFE is a surprise. Must be a huge SFE. The head on that SFE must be large since he was able to fit the huma in his mouth.

ironeagle2006

He is about 2 inches around. He barely fits in the freaking PVC tunnel network I built for him. I get EX-Large Shrimp foir him the 16-20 per Pound with heads on he eats them WHOLE. What he did with that Huma Huma was first he killed it then it took him maybe 30 mins he ate the whole thing a piece at a time.

jcarroll

Just wanted to give you a heads up, I know they can live with other fish, but it wasn't the case with mine. I have a 180 gallon tank and my SFE was about 24" long. It would only come out when the lights were out, so I had to watch him and wait for him to come out, then go feed him. I was nervous he was going to eat my fish if I didn't. It ended up being a complete pain in the butt because instead of relaxing, I was constantly looking over at the tank to see if he was out. Also, I lost about 4 fish during the 2 months I had him in the tank. One morning I woke up and found my pajama cardinal floating on the top with a big bite out of him. I decided to get rid of the eel, and I'm telling you, getting an eel out of a 180 gallon tank with about 200 pounds of live rock is quite an obstacle. I will never get an eel again, and I say this after having a 4 1/2 foot tesselata and the SNE whom I loved...

diago541

the snowflake can grow rapidly, depends on all your water peramiter's and what and how often you feed it. also where it has to hide. I got mine young its now about 28 inches long and about four inches in diameter. I have mine in a 125 gallon tank that I have for exotics. This is not a reef tank witch I do have but didn't want the eel to disrupt. my advice is have a good hood because they will get out.