Snowflake reef safe?

whaa...?

Can the snowflake succesfully live in a reef with fish smaller then it and the cleaning crew which will have shrimp.....

reeftank27

not unless you dont like keeping your shrimp. the rest will be ok till the snowflake gets big enough to eat the fish...good luck

whaa...?

wat about the coral banded shrimp and the cleaner shrimp bonds with it and cleans it right? and hermits are safe and i think if i keep it well fed it wont bother fish right?

nicetry

Originally Posted by reeftank27
not unless you dont like keeping your shrimp. the rest will be ok till the snowflake gets big enough to eat the fish...good luck
Not really accurate. Eels can do fine in reefs if you don't mind the digging, occassional sand storms, and the fact that they can knock corals off rocks when they blunder around the tank. Most shrimps won't be at risk. Hermits and snails are fine. Softer shelled crabs like emeralds, porcelains, sally lightfoots, etc would be eaten in time. Snowflakes are not fish eaters by nature and unless the eel is poorly fed, or a fish gets too close when the eel is trying to snag some food, most fish aren't at too much risk either. All in all, they are reef safe, just not reef friendly.

reeftank27

i fed mine everyday and they get so excited and cant see that good so they bite at anything moving in front of them, i have been doing eels for about 5 years and i had a couple of shimp go missing, shrimps being peppermints, a cleaner, the only one that didnt get eaten was a coral banded and thats cuz they are mean them selfs...hermits are fine, and i would say hard shell crabs would be better than soft shelled shrimps..do what you want but ill bet cha that you loose some...the smaller the better for reaf

jr8budcar

i have a sfe and i have had a cleaner shrimp and i currently have a coral banded shrimp. He dosnt bother it at all. I have seen it cleaning the eel. good with coral also very gentle swimmer.

fishieness

i have a baby snowflake in a 29 right now. And i have a 40 breeder that i am making into a reef/home for him. The only other fish taht will be with him is a moroon clown. Then jsut some corals, hermits, snails, and a coral banded shrimp
im going to add him in as soon as i set up a sump/refugium
ive only ever seen my eel get even a little bit agressive to my valentini puffer in the 29, but that is only when the puffer tries to take his food off of the feeding stick! Hopefully he will do well in a reef
<oooo!!! a new thingie!
<and another!!

bret61081

If you are looking for a good reef eel, try to find a Ghost eel, or white ribbon eel(Uropterygius concolor) it only gets like 2 feet long...doesn't really dig too much as long as you have rock work for him to hide in...mine east a few silversides a few times a week. I've had mine for 3 months in with a cleaner shrimp and a few pepermints and he hasnt touched one. he and my Golden Sleeper head Goby are always by each other...its kinda cute! great little guy..lots of fun to watch...and it was only 35$...worth the extra $$ from a snowflake...

whaa...?

I went and looked up those fish they dont really spark my intrest sorry to say, well i am still takin advice and tips etc. etc. but the one in your avatar is B-E-A-utiful. Can i get a pic of the eel and goby pair?