snowflake tank mates

shane

i have a snowflake eel he is about 17 inches long. he is in a 55 gallon with about 40 pounds of live rock. i want to add a fish or two but don't want them to be to big just big enough he won't bother them i would also like to have some low light corals. i was thinking yellow or purple tangs anyone have advice.

grouperhead

i wouldnt go with the tang unless you got a small one like a kole or something, but that might even be too small. for that tank an eel might be a little pressed. mine is in a 75 with my picasso trigger. but maybe a small angle like a flame or cb. snowflakes arent too agressive as far as eels go but they can eat your fish. a large maroon or tomato clown would be nice too. really with snowflakes its a matter of the eels disposition people have kept them with small clowns damsels and shrimp with no problem but then again some will eat all of those. later, bo

possibly a larger yellow tang could work out or as he said a dwarf lionfish, maybe a small pufferfish, like a sharpnose.

pufferlover

My larger snowflake lives with a Maroon Clown, Coral Hogfish, Cleaner Wrasse, and a tassled filefish and they do well together. They like lots of rockwork to hide in but with corals I think you could have a problem. I have posted before that I have become a real fan of Hogfish. The 3 I purchased a couple months ago have done so well it is scary. They are 3 different tanks and they just motor around all day, eat everything you offer and have not shown any fear of any fish but yet they don't bother them either. Never had them before and now wish I had room for some of the other Hogs available to me.

We also have a snowflake about the size of yours, any fish we have added he always checks them out, as snowflakes need glasses, he will rub his face on them and then leave, he has done this with crabs shrimps snails and has never ate any of them, we do have a real dosel one tho, But you drop in a treat like a gold fish he will rub against it then bam its gone,I have put large ones in as a test , the same size as some of are fish, And It seams like he knows its his food, He is awsume, eight at night and he pokes out his head ready to eat, His favorite is squid.
also welcome to the board.
:D

pufferlover

fixit; interesting you said that because neither of my flakes will touch squid anymore altho they did in the beginning. They seem to want krill and silversides which I give them. I had read that to them squid is a delicacy but mine don't seem to understand that.

otto13

my puffer fish do great with the eel. i have a blue spot and a stars and stripes. the eel does tend to nudge them around sometimes, but nothing ever comes of it. i think the puffers would win anyway. i am a krill fan as far as feeding the eel. he eats it from my hands. wonderful. good luck.

justchillin

wow i must have gotten lucky...my snowflake loves frozed brine shrimp!!!
can't get any easier than that...
he has always been a only child though so i hope he gets along with his new tank mates in the comming months!!!!

Hi pufflover, Mine did that with cracked crab legs, bought the real thing at first nice and fresh he couldnt get enough of it, so I bought a bag of frozen ones and he wont touch it, for the squid I by it in a five pound block of hole squid ,eyes and all and some of them even have eggs in them ,the other fish love the eggs and gobble them up. And Mine will turn and run if I put in krill, he just wont eat it, but put in a goldfish oh man his head just starts a bobbin around looking for more, Its amazing how fish or eels of the same family can be so differant, thats why some can have differant luck in differant setups, boy we love this hobby, Not to long I hope we are going to do something realy wild[ Our dream]. :D

pufferlover

fixit; thanks for the follow-up post. You are right the fish all seem to have personality's like people different. Actually I enjoy feeding time so I can get out my various foods and feed all the little devils. I have found certain fish have favorites and others would eat my hand if I put it in but thats part of the fun isn't it.