Snowing tank?

manycolors

I have a tank about 3 months old now, and in the past week i have noticed what looks to be like tiny dust particles, or like snow in there, and it has been progressively getting worse, i'm curiouse if anyone knows what this is, any one have advice? thanks

lexluethar

We need water parameters, tank size, how long has the tank been setup, inhabitants, feeding schedule, etc, etc, etc.
Sounds to me like your calcium is way too high.

earlybird

calcium precipitation. What are your calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium levels? Do you dose or buffer with anything?

1journeyman

Originally Posted by earlybird
calcium precipitation. What are your calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium levels? Do you dose or buffer with anything?
Would also be my guess.
Definitely need to know more.

lecithin

I have the same problem from time to time but mine comes more from when I stir up the sand. I have tons of little white guys in there that my fish like :) Mine settles down once I leave it alone.
Just a question, do you guys think it could be undisolved salt. For example: if the salt mix is damaged somehow (water perhaps or some other reason) could the crystals not disolve and just get kicked around?

lexluethar

Originally Posted by Lecithin
I have the same problem from time to time but mine comes more from when I stir up the sand. I have tons of little white guys in there that my fish like :) Mine settles down once I leave it alone.
Just a question, do you guys think it could be undisolved salt. For example: if the salt mix is damaged somehow (water perhaps or some other reason) could the crystals not disolve and just get kicked around?
I would say no, since he said that it is getting progressively worse, I think that would negate possible undisolved salt particles in the water. Although you could have a similar effect, it would not get worse, and after a day or so the salt should be disolved (unless you are DUMPING TONS of salt into the tank - i'm making the assumption he isn't).
Since it is getting progressively worse, that points to a calcium crash, which isn't a good thing, we really need to know more about the system, but specifically your calcium, alk, and ph - since they are all related.

manycolors

sorry for the late reply i just got home from work... 55 gal 2 false percs, 1 cleaner shrimp, couple mushrooms, 4 snails, and 2 hermits
ph- 8.3
Am-0
nitrite-0
nitrate- 15
Calcium- 420
Salinity- 1.026
at this point in time this is all i have for testing.
thanks for the help, i hope this is enough information

manycolors

also- i turned my skimmer off to make sure the are not micro bubbles, they have not gone away. I do have a 2 1/2in. gap at the back of my tank, is there a possibility it is a collection of dust?
I also have been using water out of the well (i live in the country) so the water should be good but i know it can never be good enough.... i am planning on draining the tank when i get an r/o filter and filling it with ro water, could the water i'm using be effecting this?

manycolors

i do not have an alk test kit at this time, i should be able to get one soon. i do have a skimmer and as of now i have a canister filter? the one that pumps the water down below through a couple filter pads and some active carbon then back to the tank

waterlogged

Originally Posted by Lecithin
what does an old mechanical filter do that would cause this?
Once it is completely full of debris it starts to release some of it. I now change mine weekly and I can tell a difference.

earlybird

Do you have a white residue on your heater and/or powerheads? I'm guessing its calcium precipitation but we need to know alk and mag. You can take a sample of your water to be tested at your LFS.