So I bought a gun... Few interesting facts about that...

So yesterday I became the owner of my first firearm, a Glock 19 Gen4 hand gun. A few thoughts I had about the whole experience...
First off, I could not believe how incredibly crowded it was at my local shop. As in "take a number" busy. I was #23, when I got there they were on #9. After about 35 minutes, I finally had my number called. There were I believe nine sales people, a few who looked like "good old boys", so when they guy called my number I was pretty stoked he was one of the more average looking gentleman. I told him point blank that I was new to guns, but I was interested in something small but powerful, and able to conceal if and when I get my CCW. Coming in, I knew I wanted a Glock, so I was happy when he immediately pointed me to the Glock case and told me "any of these will be your absolute best bet" before I ever said what I was looking for brand wise.
He suggested the .40, which was a little bigger and longer than what I wanted, so I said I was thinking more of a .9mm, to which he said, that's perfectly acceptable for a conceal carry weapon. He was more than happy when I said that I had been reading up on, and asking my gun friends about the 19 Gen 4, and he was happy to recommend it as well.
He then did something that pleasantly surprised me. He basically asked how much, if any, training I have had with a hand gun. I told him that I had been to the range probably a dozen times over ten years with friends or family, and I knew how to fire, but that was about it. He told me that he HIGHLY suggested going to this local range, and talking to so and so, who would be more than happy to spend a half hour with me at no cost, in order to show me the in's and out's of the gun, and everything I should know before I even dream about putting rounds in the magazine. He then reiterated that a pistol was not just fun and games, and that you "damn well better take it seriously". I really appreciated that.
I then filled out my FBI background check and after I finished I assumed I would come back in a few days and get my gun. He told me "no, no this will take about 15-20 minutes and you'll be good to go". Uhh, ok? He disappeared into the back room, and sure enough about 15 minutes later out comes my paperwork and per the FBI I am considered a competent person to own a hand gun.
I'm not sure what that whole background check entails, but I had to admit I was a little uneasy knowing that in 15 minutes I had a gun. I would have to assume there is only so much they can check in 15 minutes, right? As well as that, I Was surprised there were no fingerprints or anything else like that. I mean, I could have come in there with a fake or stolen ID, and I doubt there would have been a problem. At least I think not.
Lastly, I got to the counter and was ready to pay up. This was not the same guy who sold me the gun. This guy said, "good thing you're arming up now, cause it's only a matter of months before they shut this whole place down. I'm getting as many AR's as I can, while I can." He then tried to offer me some $1,800 AR they just got a shipment of in. I politely declined. He then also handed me an NRA application and said you can fill this out here if you want. I'm not sure if that is common or what, but I just took the paper and smiled and was on my way.
As I was waiting for the background check I kind of just eavesdropped on a lot of the other people there. The conclusion I came to was that there are a LOT of people who genuinely believe the government is about to take their guns. Not just AR's, but all their guns. There were probably 10-15 people who came in, and then left, when they found out that they were sold out of a certain AR. They were all asking for the same kind (or caliber maybe?) and all seemed disappointed when they found out it was gone.
All and all it was an interesting experience to say the least.

reefraff

They may have had a specific AR on sale. What cost 800 bux a month ago will set you back 1200~1500 now.
The background check is done through the FBI unless your state does it. Here in Colorado the CBI does it and currently the wait time for approval is over 100 hours. Your FBI file (way more people than you think have one) would show felony convictions, involuntary commitments to a mental facility or other arrests for things like domestic abuse which are the 3 things that will fail you.
As far as pushing the NRA membership you have to keep in mind without the NRA you likely couldn't have bought the Glock or any other pistol. The gun shop is simply fighting for their survival.

darthtang aw

It also depends if you gave your social security number voluntarily on the form. That is optional. A couple times I didnt put it down and was delayed 5 days both times. My father in law has been delayed as well. I guess it all depends on if you put complete info or if you have a military background. Every Vet I know has been delayed atleast once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that#post_3505526
It also depends if you gave your social security number voluntarily on the form. That is optional. A couple times I didnt put it down and was delayed 5 days both times. My father in law has been delayed as well. I guess it all depends on if you put complete info or if you have a military background. Every Vet I know has been delayed atleast once.
Yeah I saw that as optional. I went ahead and put it on there. Nowadays, it's not hard to get anyone's social security number if you really want it, so I figured it wasn't a big deal and would make the background check a little easier (if not quicker).

bionicarm

I went to Academy with a bud the week before Christmas, and he picked up his first handgun - Taurus PT92 AF with an optional 19-round clip for $340. Took about 15 minutes for the background check, and he didn't provide his *** (he was too concerned about handing that personal number out. He got burned by identity theft a couple years ago). Academy hands out some brochure about gun ownership, and the guy that sold it to him had to take it to the checkout counter, wait for my friend to pay for it, entered some number into the register, then walked him to the door before he would hand him the firearm to take to his car.

reefraff

Most gun shops will do the right thing. Those people are mostly enthusiasts who take these things seriously and want to make sure their customers will be happy and come back soon.

bionicarm

Clemson, I hope your local gun ranges aren't as expensive as mine. After all this talk about guns, I thought about heading to an indoor range to plink off a few rounds with my 9mm. Haven't been for more than a year, and I looked up the place I used to go and it was no longer in business. Went online and found two other indoor ranges - one not too far from my house, the other on the opposite side of town. The one closer to my house, you have to either pay $385 for an annual membership (this includes ammo discounts, free guest passes, etc.), or pay $25 for a non-member fee. In both cases, you can't bring your own ammo. You have to purchase ammo from them (they don't post their ammo prices online). They also don't allow "first time gun owners" from shooting unless they show proficiency on the use and "tear down" of their weapon, or take some Handgun 101 class they have that costs $108. The other range across town also charges $25 for non-members, but they don't say anything about using your own ammo. They have this tiered membership that starts with a $105 initiation fee, and a $25/month membership fee, up to $1500 initiation, and $70/month fee (each has it's increasing perks). Looks like it's the outdoor ranges for now (when it gets a little warmer). Did find one of those that you pay $9 to shoot, and $5 for each target.

reefraff

No open areas where you can shoot? Here it's 225 a year or 15 a visit and the range closest to me.

2quills

Wow, I guess I should take advantage of the fact that I can shoot for free anytime I like. Bionic, why dont you grab your old AR's and meet me in Sandia this weekend. You can show me how you can pull the trigger on that thing at a rate of 600 rpm.

slice

I am the only one in my office without a CCW permit. I intend to fix that very soon.
My county Sheriff's office offers many firearm courses from basic safety through "how not to be a victim" to "personal protection outside the home' on top of the CCW cert. class. These will cost me about $320 and roughly 400 rounds.
I regret getting started so late. Apparently many others do too, the waiting list is long.

2quills

What do you do, go out to Little Shell and shoot at the sharks? :rotfl:
nah, ill take you out to the ranch and let you meet some of the folks that I work with.
http://www.lonesomebullranch.com/
It'll be a blast. :)

I just want to get into my local range and take a basic class on handguns and their working parts... nothing available till the middle of February at the earliest. And that's running several classes a day, six days a week. Looks like Newtown and Aurora were good for business...

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that#post_3505678
nah, ill take you out to the ranch and let you meet some of the folks that I work with.
http://www.lonesomebullranch.com/
It'll be a blast. :)
I've actually heard of the place. Someone did a piece on it in the San Antonio paper a few years back. Rich "hunters" drop thousands of "bucks" (no pun intended) to go shoot what amounted to a bunch of pets. They didn't really call it a sport. It was like you got to pick which breed you wanted to shoot for your personal trophy, and they practically set the thing out in a field for you to pop. Love how you can even buy your name into the Boone & Crockett record books. $65 for a dove hunt? I can go out to Hondo and pay this rancher I know that has 2800 acres $15 for the same privilege. Shoot, there's some farmer right outside the San Antonio city limits that will let me hunt in his field for $10. Better yet, I just walk out into my backyard and pop 5 or 10 with my BB pistol. I've nailed 3 already in my front yard where they roost in a big oak tree at night, and take dumps all over my cars.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClemsonKid http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that#post_3505683
I just want to get into my local range and take a basic class on handguns and their working parts... nothing available till the middle of February at the earliest. And that's running several classes a day, six days a week. Looks like Newtown and Aurora were good for business...
I tried going over to this one outdoor range today. They opened up at Noon, and when I pulled up, there were cars lined down the road. I left and went and got something to eat, came back an hour later, and you couldn't find a parking spot in the parking lot. Wait time for a pistol slot was 2 hours. Kind of reminded me of all these people you see joining their local fitness centers right after the holidays to try and lose some weight. Come February, you weeded out all the the non-dedicated ones and everything went back to normal.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that#post_3505727
I've actually heard of the place. Someone did a piece on it in the San Antonio paper a few years back. Rich "hunters" drop thousands of "bucks" (no pun intended) to go shoot what amounted to a bunch of pets. They didn't really call it a sport. It was like you got to pick which breed you wanted to shoot for your personal trophy, and they practically set the thing out in a field for you to pop. Love how you can even buy your name into the Boone & Crockett record books. $65 for a dove hunt? I can go out to Hondo and pay this rancher I know that has 2800 acres $15 for the same privilege. Shoot, there's some farmer right outside the San Antonio city limits that will let me hunt in his field for $10. Better yet, I just walk out into my backyard and pop 5 or 10 with my BB pistol. I've nailed 3 already in my front yard where they roost in a big oak tree at night, and take dumps all over my cars.
Pets? LOL! They don't lead anything. Your guide selects which animal you get to shoot but it's dependent on what you come across. The whole notion of "Hey Fred, stake out buck number 2392 is the creation of PETA's anti hunting campaign. The one real advantage is that they set up shooting blinds around feeding areas. Being a gimp I'd do that. Might even mount what I shot but I wouldn't pay the premium for a trophy buck and mount that. That takes all the fun out of it. I know of people who have spent 20 years and still haven't got off a shot at what they want to mount.
The prices they have for "meat hunts" are reasonable. Check out the price of buffalo meat. I can tell you a 3 year old bull will dress out at over 400 pounds. My 2nd season bull dressed out in the 330's.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that#post_3505728
I tried going over to this one outdoor range today. They opened up at Noon, and when I pulled up, there were cars lined down the road. I left and went and got something to eat, came back an hour later, and you couldn't find a parking spot in the parking lot. Wait time for a pistol slot was 2 hours. Kind of reminded me of all these people you see joining their local fitness centers right after the holidays to try and lose some weight. Come February, you weeded out all the the non-dedicated ones and everything went back to normal.
Good to see so many new gun owners learning to use their weapons the right way.
Back in the late 80's I knew someone who managed a gym. She said if half of their active members showed up once a week they'd have to double the size of their facility. The only way they were profitable is over selling the facility.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that#post_3505727
Hmmm...I don't know anything about a Boone & Crockett record book. Perhaps that was before my time. To be quite honest, this guy does a rather substantial amount of business since he's ridiculously motivated and determined. But It would be a tough task to satisfy 100% of people 100% of the time for anyone. I don't think that he would make any bones about thinning a heard if it was time to be done. But there are hunts that can be had that give you a much greater challenge other than paying low dollar for something cheap if that is what you're after. And I'm sure it would rival or surpass anything that the average hunter is going to go out to state or private land of someone who they know who will let them shoot there for cheap. These guys breed white tail deer with 20-30 points (yes I said 30 point bucks) and people pay upwards of $12,000-$14,000 to get one. And they will make it a real hunt for you.
Aside from the hunting side of things they actually do in large part believe in the preservation of species. Pretty much all of their animals are purposely bred and selected for hunts with that in mind. So it's not just completely senseless slaughtering of animals going on here. I know that he's sold some animals to one of the zoos down here on a few occasions. And if you like wild life and enjoy seeing something that you might not see every day then it's a cool place to go.
My wife and I both work directly for and under him as we are his two must trusted associates that essentially run his property management business yet we both do a lot for the ranch as well. Aside from that I think we have right around 300 mortgage loans that he is the financier for. My guy's and I turn anywhere from 2-6 houses in a month as well as maintain a few dozen rentals. These businesses turn out a fortune each in their own. But the ranch makes the most.
Just a little insight for you about me. Guns have simply always been a part of my life since I was born. My father and grandfather both served and both were enthusiasts but not very huge on hunting. My old man was crazy about it, even used to love carving and finishing his own stocks to make replicas of vintage muzzle loaders. Grandfather president of a gun club for several years. I'm not a huge hunter either but I know how if I ever have to. I just don't feel like I need too. For me guns have fallen in and out of popularity but they have always been a family affair. I'm probably not the trigger happy lunatic that you think I am, bionic.
And whether some folks realize it or not there are a lot of people who have a great deal of time, money or even their whole careers built around what some folks are suggesting we just simply do away with. Are they simply going to be the next industry casualty to add to the list? Or is the real question here if it would be wise to put so many people out on a whim in hopes that you might actually end up with some sort of definitive result to show for it? History is not on your side.