So I came home today, and theres a Tang in my dad's 30g Nano.....

king_neptune

Yellow, and its pretty much a young adult. Hes pretty cool but has fits of racing back and forth at top speed. I can tell hes frustrated at times and wants to really move some distance.

king_neptune

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/381729/so-i-came-home-today-and-theres-a-tang-in-my-dad-s-30g-nano#post_3326842
I would have had to say something....LOL...
Its not worth it. All it will accomplish turn into is a fight, he wont listen to ANYTHING I say.
Its funny to hear the LFS tell him something I told him to do WEEKS if not MONTHS ago, and he'll suddenly comply because its now reputable. Just yesterday "They told me not to go past 8 hours of light a day, it will reduce my algae"
Ya, I said that last year, and again in the summer...and even some more last week when it got really bad.
He kills fish left and right before they even leave QT. The only thing that has lasted more than 3 months is his two stupid clowns that sit in one corner and bob up and down all day.

bang guy

I agree it's not worth it. Continue making your tank a showpiece and he will eventually begin to ask you questions. At that point he'll be in the right frame of mind to accept your advice.

king_neptune

In theory, but thats simply not the case :(
He gets mad since Im a "Know it all"
Hes like the people on these forums that get all bent when someone tells them they are doing something wrong.Only to the extreme.

J

jstdv8

Sounds like my whole family.
They all have freshwater tanks and have since befre I had my SW setup.
My dad is mad at his PC lights because he has algae on his plants. And he has to scrape the front glass every 2 weeks! He said I've had tanks since the 70's and I've never had to scrape my glass that often. I said "well, you never wanted to grow plants before" more ligth causes more algae, you need to do water changes"
He said he ahsnt done a water change in 2-3 months and he wonders why his plants have alage on them.
Mom told me yesterday when I was doing a water change on her tank (because I was bored) that the tops off alot of water every week so she didn't think she needed to do water changes.
Brothers Oscars both have hole in the head. So I looked it up and it said it's likley due to high nitrates from not doing water changes.
He hasn't done a WC in the 2 years since he's had the tank.
We did a water change yesterday. before the change I tests the trates and my test kit goes to 160 and it was redder than that.
So we did a 50% change and the test still came back as at least 160. Poor fish.
Every time I bring it up to any of them that they need to do WC's or they need to adjust this or test that they get rediculously angry at me and tell me they've been doing this longer than I have and never had any problems (except for cloudy water, dead fish, hole in the head, algae issues, ect ect ect.)
All I get is the same treatment, that I'm a know it all cuz I have this fancy SW tank now.
Sad.

king_neptune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstdv8 http:///forum/thread/381729/so-i-came-home-today-and-theres-a-tang-in-my-dad-s-30g-nano#post_3326883
My dad is mad at his PC....
ha ha. Took my dad hundreds of dollars in dead SPS, to be convinced that his son was right and the stock lighting on a nano couldn't handle corals. Oh, and his answer, dozens of various light bulbs and desk lamps from home depot. "See, they respond to the light"
Ya dad, i can give the dog a teaspoon of food a day and it will respond to that too. But its not going to live very long.
He finally made a DIY LED array, now sometimes they survive ^_^
Maybe If I can get him to stop dosing C-balance w/out testing the water first.

gemmy

I love when my family tries to give me advice on my tank. Your tank needs a tang and a lionfish. Why don't you have more fish? I have a 55 reef tank. I am stocked with fish. I just smile and tell it's my tank and I will do as I please.

acropora12

My parents stay out of my fish realm, they just tell me "NO, you can't have a 300 Gallon" my responce "awww...:(" lol.

J

jstdv8

I just tell them I am more into corals than fish. I like things that are wavy and colorful and have pretty little differences and I can have as many or as few as I want.

d-man

and I though I was stubborn about doing things my way, at least I feel really bad if I do kill a fish.