So I did the switch

meisacao

Okay, so I switched from the 39 to the 55 gallon. I read everything I could on upgrading tanks and tried talking to everyone. One of the LFS was no help (my regular store was closed) the girl actually told me to put the 39 gallons of water in add some new salt water, stick in some buffer and in an hour I should be ready to go. (no, I didn't do that). I did use all the old water, mixed some new salt water (with r/o), added new sand, added lr from old tank and filtered the water. I've got two penguin 330 hob filters running with carbon, small powerhead, electical probe and heater. All water tested fine after 4 days and so I transferred fish last night. Amonia 0, Nitrites 0 and Nitrates 0. Todays readings: Amonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 160 !!!! Any suggestions??? No fish appear stressed or anything. They are accepting food and swimming just fine, but I know I can't let them sit in the nitrates like this. LR only hit air in moving from tank to bucket and from bucket to new tank, no more than a few seconds in the air each time. What should I do?

hardcrab67

Your going to have to do WC's more of it(30% at least) and maybe twice a week. My PH fell last month and disturbed the sandbed, this is what I did. My nitrates hit 160 and I've done 2 big WC's(20g on a 55g tank)and a week later I'm at less than 80ppm, 10g changes was getting it between 80-160, and tomorrow's test should be in the 40 range. JME You said you took LR out of the old tank, but did you increase the total rock you will need for the new tank?

uberlink

You probably kicked up nitrates by stirring up your sand bed. A series of water changes (maybe 10% a couple times per week) will bring it down. For longer term control, plant some macroalgae in there or (better yet) in an attached refugium.

hardcrab67

Originally Posted by uberlink
You probably kicked up nitrates by stirring up your sand bed. A series of water changes (maybe 10% a couple times per week) will bring it down. For longer term control, plant some macroalgae in there or (better yet) in an attached refugium.
10% will not do it IME, I did this for a month, twice a week, pulled the sponges and then the bio-balls(1/4 at at time) They're all gone and still 80ppm was the lowest I got, then rise to 160ppm. I feed sparingly at nite. The next two weeks still w/ no sponges or bios, just a fresh blue filter pad, 2-20g WC's has got me to 40ppm today(originally w/ my load). In 48hrs, I'm going to do another 20gal change. Now the cause of this rise and the fact that it was hard to reduce was not only the
pwrhd falling, but my refuge had to re-establish itself after replacing the 5 1/2g tank a week before, and my load. I am replacing the biospace and adding to refuge w/ 10lbs established LR rubble today. Still need another 50lbs in the DT, I only have 60lbs in my 55g now w/ 3x 4" fish, 3x 2" fish, and 1x 3" fish for a bioload. Thats twice the recommended 5g for 1" of fish rule. With a 100+g tank and same load and another 50lbs(150 total) of LR, I hope to have 5-10ppm nitrates. Tank has been running for 9 months after 4 week cycle w/50lbs LR and 80lbs LS. JMshortEbut its working.

meisacao

My fish were kept in a small 10 gallon qt tank while I did the switch. No, not the best tank but it was my only option since I was using the water from the 39 gallon. Thanks for the info. I will start the water changes today. I haven't put in more rock yet. I had 40lbs in the old tank and I don't want to add any new rock until I get the tank reading to where they need to be. Even if it's cured lr, I'm nervous about putting anything new in the tank until all readings are under control.

hardcrab67

Originally Posted by meisacao
My fish were kept in a small 10 gallon qt tank while I did the switch. No, not the best tank but it was my only option since I was using the water from the 39 gallon. Thanks for the info. I will start the water changes today. I haven't put in more rock yet. I had 40lbs in the old tank and I don't want to add any new rock until I get the tank reading to where they need to be. Even if it's cured lr, I'm nervous about putting anything new in the tank until all readings are under control.
Ive added a 10lb rock straight from the LFS w/ no ill-effects, but I know what you mean about readings just felt safe today to get a frag of hammer.