so i got a clam..

S

siptang

Today was my ritual of going to my buddy's lfs.
They had a promo on deresa and he gave me a 7" deresa clam for 27.99 and I couldn't say no.
He said that I don't need as much light because its over 3" and said it pretty much sustains itself and said that my lumens (3300) was sufficient for clam that size.
Said that I could return it if I had issues within the week.
What are your thoughts?
He said that LEDs had enough power but just a pain in case bulbs were to go out.

S

siptang

I just got home lol. Let me acclimate them properly, settle them and take awesome pics lol.
Quick q, how did you acclimate your clam? Any tip? This guy just said to put it in after temp acclimation but I just wanted to double check from the experts here.

meowzer

Well do you drip acclimate or bag acclimate?
I bag....so I temp first.....then I discard a little bag water....and add a little tank water,..about every 20 minutes I repeat
You are also supposed to "burp" a clam.....I THINK yu slowly rock them back and forth to make sure there are no air bubbles....let me try to look that up to be sure while yo uare acclimating

meowzer

Just found this.....simple and to the point...LOL
WHAT IS BURPING A CLAM?
That is how you get any air bubbles out of the clam
1. When placing him/her in the tank, do it head first and then turn it over slowly.
2. Tap gently
on the shell and if there is a air pocket ( bubble) it will release it.

S

siptang

I usually do a drip acclimate. And burp a clam? Lol this thing is like a child lmbo.
I'm thinking about leaving it in the acclamation stage for about 3 hours. What do you think?

S

siptang

done.
opening up already.
what lvl should my calcium be with the deresa clam?

S

siptang

Thanks lois, will be sure to do so.
One more q, does your clam have this tube looking thing sticking out? It has something sticking out when open and a small crack on the other side.

S

siptang

lol Karla.
thanks guys. I'm uber excited and if all goes well, I want an all purple one as well lol.

florida joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/389990/so-i-got-a-clam#post_3450657
Thanks lois, will be sure to do so.
One more q, does your clam have this tube looking thing sticking out? It has something sticking out when open and a small crack on the other side.
I am a little confused about the statement that a larger clam needs less light. IMO if anything a smaller clam will be better served in an area of less light as their mantel is much thinner and more sensitive than a larger one.
Lois this thread would surely damn me to hell so I am trying my ‘HARDEST” to refrain from diving to deeply into the clam discussion
FYI your clam has two siphons one is the inhalant which looks like a mouth which is often fringed with fine tentacles that strain larger particles out of the water, and the exhalent siphon which is tube like which passes water back out of the clam

S

siptang

I read that our clams work like corals and process their food photosynthetically.
In the wild, smaller clams are in more shallow waters (around 10 feet) so they receive more light that they need.
As they get older, they will let tides carry them out and go into deeper depth to live and will even lose the leg. (As much as 60ft which obviously has less light then the shallow waters)
So I heard that as they get older, they become more tolerant to less light and is more forgiving then the smaller ones.
Does this make sense or did I get the wrong info again? lol.
You guys know better so please correct me if I'm wrong.