So I just got my new PC lights...

ubersalt

They are the Current USA Orbit 2x65 30" version.
It comes with dual actinic bulbs (420nm/460nm) and the 10K brite light.
On the dual actinic bulb it looks like one bar of the bulb is a lot bluer than the other. In fact the other bar of the bulb looks to be off. Is this how it is supposed to look? The 10K bulb is perfect.
Do I have a defective bulb? But wouldn't it not light up at all if that were the case.
Thanks in advance

celacanthr

i dont think it is supposed to be that way I got the EXACT same lighting length and all and both of my actinics are on.

monalisa

Hmmm, I'll be interested in finding out what you do regarding this. I'm in the process of waiting for my new PCs to arrive, and I want to know what to look for.
Lisa :happyfish

ccws

I dont have the same lights, but mine do look like that. I think that it supposed to be like that because they are dual actinics???. My tank looks good with them so and both of my actinics do that. I have the 65 watt actinics from sunpak.

ubersalt

Another quick question, am I supposed to leave the retaining rubber bands on?
And yeah, got this from the website I bought it from:
The Dual Actinics are half 420nm and half 460nm--which is an ideal combination of actinic lighting. The 420nm is a true actinic, and is more purplish and very dim looking to the human eye. The 460nm is brighter and bluer.
So looks like mine are fine.
Thanks for your help

symon

I have the 48" set from corallife, all of mine are on, i think you guys have some defective lights, I also left the bands on, i thought they where meant to give some holding power, LOL had them running for months and no fire!

ubersalt

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
I sure didn't!
It's ok. I 've seen you on these boards a bit and you have been very helpful to a lot of people

ubersalt

Originally Posted by Symon
I have the 48" set from corallife, all of mine are on, i think you guys have some defective lights, I also left the bands on, i thought they where meant to give some holding power, LOL had them running for months and no fire!
I believe the Coralife ones are 10K and Actinic. It doesn't have the dual actinics. And yeah, I'll keep the bands on. I'm sure if there was a fire hazard there would be a big warning somewhere to take them off

celacanthr

I also left the bands on, i thought they where meant to give some holding power, LOL had them running for months and no fire!
really you did? i guess it doesnt matter either way cause mine have been very stable besides if they fall they got that plastic piece to keep em from hitting the water.