So long Mr. Snail

Well, Mr. Hairy Snail has now consumed his 5th turbo. His speckled hairy self has been removed to the sump until I can give him to one of the LFS's in the area. I don't mind if he eats a snail every now and then, but with his ravenous appetite I'd be at the store constantly replenishing the supply. He's really a cool little dude to look at. Too bad he is also a predator destined to eradicate even the best stocked aquarium of it's snail (and presumably other) population! :(

reeflooker

How do you know that Mr. hairy snail is killing your Turbos? I have turbos die off every now and then and I don't have a Mr. hairy snail in my tank.

I keep count as I watch with mine own two eyeballs as he consumes snail after snail. He is in a 150 FOWLR that does not contain all that much live rock due to large fish. He is therefore readily observable and has been caught in the act 5 times. There is nothing else in there that has any interest in snails anyways.
Conclusion? Mr. Hairy snail is guilty as charged!

reeflooker

Well if you have a good eye witness, I say banish Mr. hairy snail to the dungeon, and have no mercy on his poor little soul. But before he goes, can you at least post a pic of him.

There are at least two pics of him on different threads. I think one is called "What is this thing?" and the other might be "Caught in the act" or something close to that. A fast search should yeild a pic. He's really a cool looking fella. I'm trying to get him to eat a piece of krill now. Maybe he can just live in my sump until he gets too big. I can't kill him. Poor little guy can't help it that his home was torn out of the sea and sent to my house! Too bad he's a predator. Really interesting to observe...unless I'm observing him snacking on yet another turbo. :(

reeflooker

Wow, Mr. hairy snail is awsome...... I changed my mind, he is innocent. Besides, I don't think there is any laws against eating escargo. Just keep the turbos comming. He will probably get full at some point.
Does he bother the corals? There are laws against bothering corals,you know.