So what Anthias can be kept singlely?

puffer32

I have had most fish available to the hobbiest, in my yrs reefkeeping, even tried keeping a pair of queens (wouldn't eat for me) and would like to keep 1 or 2 of the hardier ones. Any suggestions on which ones do well in a pair or alone? Would 2 females be ok? One male and 1 female? Seems most only do well with a group :notsure: I have a 150 gal, and only want to add one or 2 more fish.

promisetbg

A sunburst anthias, aka fathead anthias would be a great choice...they are supposed to be kept singly. They are gorgeous too.

xdave

Almost any could be kept singly. They are harum breeders and will fight in any combo of 2.

joe 09

i have a squarespot and a tricolor in q that just started eating and are doing ok.do some research and get the hardy ones.

jon321

Ive also seen most anthias successfully kept alone and I have personally kept a single dispar.
Jon

puffer32

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
I think success depends on frequent feedings with Anthias.
Like you I feed more then once a day, unlike you, I don't ever skip a day, so i think a single anthias will be good.
Thanks everyone for your input

dogstar

Originally Posted by xDave
will fight in any combo of 2.
please explain, any two different species ( one of each ) will fight, only two of the same species will fight ? ...... I have kept them in both of these sinarios and they did not fight...

jon321

Originally Posted by Dogstar
please explain, any two different species ( one of each ) will fight, only two of the same species will fight......I have kept them in both of these sinarios and they did not fight...
From what I have heard/read 2 different species will fight unless in a large tank (100g+) whether kept as 1 of each or as a group of each.
Jon