So who's burning the Koran on the 11th?

speg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///forum/thread/380081/so-who-s-burning-the-koran-on-the-11th/180#post_3308142

Nope...and true christians would see that it is not either...those that believe this have not read the book in its proper context and entirety....the universe was not made in a mere 168 hours either...the bible is clear on this part...if you have read it actually. evolution is true as well....
Can you please provide the verses for more than 6 days worth of "creation" and evolution?

I'd appreciate it.

darthtang aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speg http:///forum/thread/380081/so-who-s-burning-the-koran-on-the-11th/180#post_3308143
Can you please provide the verses for more than 6 days worth of "creation" and evolution?

I'd appreciate it.
2 Peter 3:8 "But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day."

Also...factor in the hebrew word "yome" can be translated to mean either "day" or "era"....

if you look closely, Genesis and creation are written as a poem. When translating, the word "day" fit the poem better than the word "era"

speg

Then that would suggest that God rested for an "era" ?

The Bible sure is a tough thing to interpret because...well...we weren't there! We have to believe and read what we can for what it is...

Your suggestions and thoughts are interesting, but those first verses also say that there was day, night, and that was one day....work was done, day, night, day two. It never says "many of days passed and many of nights and that was day one".

Also, one of the 10 commandments says to keep the Sabbath day holy. Would we assume that the Sabbath day is an era of rest? Many verses in the Bible talks about the Sabbath and the way they're worded makes the Sabbath seem like a single day.. Jesus even rested on the Sabbath.

2 Peter 3:8 "But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." This verse probably means that God is able to accomplish things that would take us thousands of years to do. This is how I would interpret the verse; not that God's "day" is actually 1000 days.

What do you think?

Also, the evolution verse(s) please?

speg

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/380081/so-who-s-burning-the-koran-on-the-11th/180#post_3308144
what makes you think there was a 24 hour day?????

Do you really think people lived to be 900 years old then too???
Sure I do.

There wasn't a lot of doctors and "cures" in those days...but there wouldn't have been a lot of diseases either. If you read throughout some of the beginning of the Bible (forget the exact chapters/verses) it states what should be done in order to rid diseases and also ways to stay healthy. It's likely that some of these rules were broken (humans are dumb) and now we deal with many dangerous diseases because of what our ancestors did.

Do I believe that a day was 24 hours then? Yes, I believe that. I believe that God created everything we see in 6 days.

What I don't believe is that the Earth was created out of a mass of heat and energy and that we were almost magically created from bacteria and evolved into people over billions of years.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartorl http:///forum/thread/380081/so-who-s-burning-the-koran-on-the-11th/180#post_3308124
This just further backs up my persona mantra of "it your mind is blank, it's not truly a sin".

Where are the dinosaurs in the Bible?

Religion has flaws at least to me. Noting that, it also has many inconsistancies and double speak as I am sure that any other written religious book does as well.

I think the only similarity to all religions is the wiggle room of interpretation.

To those who believe no proof is ever needed, and for those who believe not, no proof is ever enough.

Where did the very idea of a dragon come from? The last dinosaur would be in the water, since all that had breath died in the flood of Noah. These mentioned below are symbolic, but the idea of such a creature existed. Unbelieving folks thought it was all just a myth, until big dinosaur bones were found, and still it isn't enough. Now such folks say..here is a dinosaur..but where is such a creature in the Bible?

Psalm 74:13 Thou didst divide the sea by thy strength: thou brakest the heads of the dragons in the waters.
Thou brakest the heads of leviathan in pieces, and gavest him to be meat to the people inhabiting the wilderness.

Isaiah 27:1 In that day the LORD with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is
in the sea

Psalm 91:13 Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.

darthtang aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speg http:///forum/thread/380081/so-who-s-burning-the-koran-on-the-11th/200#post_3308153

The Bible sure is a tough thing to interpret because...well...we weren't there! We have to believe and read what we can for what it is...

Your suggestions and thoughts are interesting, but those first verses also say that there was day, night, and that was one day....work was done, day, night, day two. It never says "many of days passed and many of nights and that was day one".

Also, one of the 10 commandments says to keep the Sabbath day holy. Would we assume that the Sabbath day is an era of rest? Many verses in the Bible talks about the Sabbath and the way they're worded makes the Sabbath seem like a single day.. Jesus even rested on the Sabbath.

2 Peter 3:8 "But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day."
This verse probably means that God is able to accomplish things that would take us thousands of years to do. This is how I would interpret the verse; not that God's "day" is actually 1000 days.

What do you think?

Evolution comes into play if translating as "era". As an era it is suffice to say that many of gods creation could have been done by evolution over the course of each era.

Your points are valid..however since the word "yome" has two meanings, one can assume that it was used regularly, switching back and forth between each meaning...this is the fundamental problem with religion...translation. even the king james version translates different than the new age version.....look at our own language..over the course of time words have taken on many meanings. So to completely write off those glimpses into creation science has "shown" us is wrong to me.

Here is an example..."he is gay," In todays society this means something different than what it meant in society 40 years ago.

darthtang aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/380081/so-who-s-burning-the-koran-on-the-11th/200#post_3308156

To those who believe no proof is ever needed, and for those who believe not, no proof is ever enough.

Where did the very idea of a dragon come from? The last dinosaur would be in the water, since all that had breath died in the flood of Noah. These mentioned below are symbolic, but the idea of such a creature existed. Unbelieving folks thought it was all just a myth, until big dinosaur bones were found, and still it isn't enough. Now such folks say..here is a dinosaur..but where is such a creature in the Bible?

Psalm 74:13 Thou didst divide the sea by thy strength: thou brakest the heads of the dragons in the waters.
Thou brakest the heads of leviathan in pieces, and gavest him to be meat to the people inhabiting the wilderness.

Isaiah 27:1 In that day the LORD with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is
in the sea

Psalm 91:13 Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.

I always forget about sea dinosaurs....

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speg http:///forum/thread/380081/so-who-s-burning-the-koran-on-the-11th/200#post_3308153

This verse probably means that God is able to accomplish things that would take us thousands of years to do. This is how I would interpret the verse; not that God's "day" is actually 1000 days.

What do you think?

There is a whole group of thought that argues,. That in Gen 1:1 God created everything, the Lucifer fell, destroyed earth and starting in Gen 1:2 is the account of the recreation of earth. Which allows for the old earth dating. They use the verbage of the Hebrew, and insinuations as evidence for their argument.

stdreb27

Quote:

What do you think?

Their is this other guy who argues, that pre-flood their was a lattice type structure surrounding the earth. That created an oxygen rich environment that allowed for larger animals, meaning dinosaurs, filtered the sun. And the 900 year live spans. When the flood happened that structure collapsed, and you'll notice according to the bible that is when live spans started shortening. His research is pretty interesting/entertaining. And before you go saying ahh that is nuts. It can't be any more nuts than somehow our atmosphere not escaping into the vacuum of space...

speg

Well, not to say that anything is crazy or nuts..but if you have a religion then you believe in something. Belief is/should be YOUR OWN. You don't have to agree or believe in what someone else believes. Just have faith in something, or don't.

I personally have my own beliefs. I don't really say that I'm any certain religion..but I guess I could say that I was brought up as Baptist....I still don't believe many of their beliefs though.

Good luck fellas...this got off topic :)

speg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///forum/thread/380081/so-who-s-burning-the-koran-on-the-11th/200#post_3308159

Evolution comes into play if translating as "era". As an era it is suffice to say that many of gods creation could have been done by evolution over the course of each era.

Your points are valid..however since the word "yome" has two meanings, one can assume that it was used regularly, switching back and forth between each meaning...this is the fundamental problem with religion...translation. even the king james version translates different than the new age version.....look at our own language..over the course of time words have taken on many meanings. So to completely write off those glimpses into creation science has "shown" us is wrong to me.

Here is an example..."he is gay," In todays society this means something different than what it meant in society 40 years ago.
I agree with that.... "he is gay" used to mean happy... "he is gay" now may mean that he is literally a man who loves men OR "he is dumb"....

It's your belief and I don't want to really persuade anybody a certain way. All we can do is read for ourselves, take in the information, and form our own beliefs/opinions.

Good luck.

flower

Quote:

What do you think?

We measure the day by the sun and the moon...they were not created until the forth day. The light he created in the beginning was not the physical light, to understand the rest is the mystic, the Zohar, you must first be grounded in Torah before you can go deeper for understanding.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/380081/so-who-s-burning-the-koran-on-the-11th/200#post_3308227

We measure the day by the sun and the moon...they were not created until the forth day. The light he created in the beginning was not the physical light, to understand the rest is the mystic, the Zohar, you must first be grounded in Torah before you can go deeper for understanding.

lol it was God, I figured he could illuminate what he needed to. After all he was building our exist ants at the time.

bang guy

Seems that if you use a full rotation of the galaxy as a single day then the timing to create the Earth and the Sun is about right.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdreb27 http:///forum/thread/380081/so-who-s-burning-the-koran-on-the-11th/200#post_3308244

lol it was God, I figured he could illuminate what he needed to. After all he was building our exist ants at the time.

This is important...there was Evening, then morning...the first day. This is why Jewish Tradition has evening as the beginning of a day. It was started as dark and he called it a day.

Bang guys explanation isn't half bad, I even kinda like it......the problem is the stars and all the lights in the heavens were created on the same day as the sun and moon. Gen 1:16

darthtang aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/380081/so-who-s-burning-the-koran-on-the-11th/200#post_3308273

This is important...there was Evening, then morning...the first day. This is why Jewish Tradition has evening as the beginning of a day. It was started as dark and he called it a day.

Bang guys explanation isn't half bad, I even kinda like it......the problem is the stars and all the lights in the heavens were created on the same day as the sun and moon. Gen 1:16
When you say day...do you mean 24 hour period. Because Bang's explanation could fit just fine if the translation of "yome" is actually era instead of day.