so why can't you clean class with windex?

lil.guppy

If you spray your paper towel feet away from your tank its fine. You just dont want any of that after spray getting in there

pezenfuego

Some will say that it will seep through the glass...some are full of BS.
It's fine. I try to avoid spraying directly on the tank for fear that some windex air will reach the water...but I think this fear is irrational as well. You'll be fine

naclh2o nut

I am with yu Pez. My wife and two teen age daughters use enough hairspray in the house that the doors stick.

With no side effects to the tank. I personally don't use anything on the glass except RO/DI water and a squegee. But I can not believe that a small amount of air borne windex will crash your tank.

That said, don't try it.

don trinko

I have used windex or the wallmart version of it for many years in fresh and salt water. I spray it on the glass but make sure I do not get any near the top of the glass then I use a paper towel to clean the glass.
When I clean the top glass I normaly take it off and rinse it in the sink for my salt water tanks. In the freshwater tanks I spray it on the paper towel and then wipe the top.
I'm sure you could have a problem if you get sloppy but if you are carefull it can be done. (obviously if you never get any windex in the tank it will not harm anything.) Don T.

spkdtch

ive sprayed it on the glass, just was sure none got in the water, in fact, im going to clean mine in about 2 minutes, never had a problem at all

pezenfuego

I believe it was Flower who was talking about how the teen at the LFS told her to not spray windex on her tank because the glass is porous and would obsorb it.

salt210

if you are worried about it you can buy a product made specifically for cleaning fish tank glass

unleashed

water and white vinigar work very well for cleaning the glass..removes salt creep and other films without worries of harming your fish

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Nano Reefer
http:///forum/post/3016764
windex makes "windex w/ vinegar", its ammonia free and it seems to be safe. its also very streak free.
I was just thinking that. You can just use water and a paper towel too. It works, but you have to rub to get any residue off. Vinegar breaks the residue right up.

bmkj02

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/3016237
I believe it was Flower who was talking about how the teen at the LFS told her to not spray windex on her tank because the glass is porous and would obsorb it.

Yeah, I think its BS. If that was true the water in the tank would come out and thats under its own weight of pressure let alone a spray.

jackri

HAHA "seeps" through the glass... just like water seeps out right? Then we'd all be in trouble.
I use windex and just careful about the spray... but size of the tank may come into play as well. I have 100g of water volume, if by some chance a bit of mist gets in there it's far less likely any damage would be done to like a 20g system.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by bmkj02
http:///forum/post/3021176
Yeah, I think its BS. If that was true the water in the tank would come out and thats under its own weight of pressure let alone a spray.
And luckily Flower is a very smart woman and didn't believe him

spanko

Originally Posted by unleashed
http:///forum/post/3016754
water and white vinigar work very well for cleaning the glass..removes salt creep and other films without worries of harming your fish
This is how I do it. Inexpensive and works great and no worry!

flower

I was smart?

It is a Jewish belief (some, not all) that glass absorbs the flavors of food, that it is porous like china because they are made similar. When keeping Kosher we don't mix dairy foods and meat foods. Two different sets of plates are used in the house.
The fellow at the LFS took the belief to a logical end and thought that if food absorbs than the glass of fish tanks will as well.
At first I was angry until I realized he was a very religious Jew, not trying to rip me off.
I don't think he should be laughed at, just not believed in that instance.