So you are new here....

scotts

and maybe new to the hobby, Good! Congratulations! You have already started off to the hobby better than I started. I started off by listening soley to my LFS. Don't know what a lfs is, check out this thread. https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/42388/bulletin-board-acronyms There have been many new people here asking specific questions about starting up thier tank. Well here is a thread that might help you out. https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/80022/advise-for-new-hobbyists BTW these threads are found in the archives at the bottom of the main page. You might want to do some reading there.
One thing that will help you out is the old search button. It is located at the top right of this page. Learn it, live it, love it. I know why should you do a search here when you have a specific question. There is an easy answer, because in researching your situation you may find answers to questions you did not know to ask. Also in this hobby there is no perfect answer. Each tank is different and there are many different opinions on how to keep a tank.
Now to get on my soap box, research EVERYTHING before you buy it. My often told story is on impulse I bought a beautiful 2" fish. Then I found this board and learned about researching. Well it turns out this fish grew to about 10" in size and was not reef safe.
So a long winded way to say WELCOME. And if you are new here, post on here, tell us about your tank and what ya got in it. Also if you have a question and are don't want to start a thread, post it on here. Oh here is now the dancing banana just cause I think they are cool

Scott

tookrool

Thanks alot scott i have been wondering what all these acroynms meant,
another crazy question what is meant by a thread saying "bump"
a newbie wannabie
Roger

cain420

bump means they are impatient and in a hurry for an answer and hope that by "bumping" the thread back to the top of the list, that the same people will read it and finally answer...
i usually give it a couple of days and if no replies, then bump it goes...
sometimes people wont answer because there are enough threads on it already and searching for them is rather simple... other times, they might not have a good answer and you just need to wait for someone who can help to come along...
i think sometimes they assume that we only read the threads on the first page, or just the ones up top....

scotts

Took, Welcome to the board. I felt kind of stupid after I wrote this so I am glad to help one person out. I have heard the BUMP can stand for Bring Up My Post. Or it is just a way for people to put a post up near the the top of the page, in hopes that someone who has knows can answer their question.
Scott

mystic7

Originally Posted by Scotts
So a long winded way to say WELCOME. And if you are new here, post on here, tell us about your tank and what ya got in it.
Scott
Unless, like me, you don't do water changes. Then you should just keep it to yourself.

wax32

By the way...
If you are new, and made a thread asking a question, but now you can't find it....
Click USER CP in the Forum Jump pull down menu, or at the top of the page. This will show you every thread you have posted in!

jojo_b

Scotts thanks for the thread. It's a help to me.
And thanks for the bump advice, Cain. Because I did think that folks only read the 1st page. My bad.

anderson's

Hey just got on here today, and have already found a ton of help. We just purchased a 55 gallon tank this week, I will have to post again later with the details/brands on all of the components.
Now I need to do a little more research on water quality. We have already filled the tank with tap water, but it looks like we should have purchased DI/RO water. (probably the first mistake of many)
Also we got crushed coral, not live sand. From what I have read... another mistake.
It looks like I am in the right place, because like I said I have already found a ton of good advice.
Just thought I would say hi.

oceanbreez

Scott thanks,
I went through heck with the saltwater when I first got it set up. Unfortunatly,
with not the right equipment and not enough research i lost quite a few fish.
Now I wised up and have some good help and advice. I do still have
to read up on fish combinations. I'm taking it very slow now. The water
is testing beautifully. I asked on the other thread a couple of questions but
haven't gotten any response yet. I have about four fish now. I want
to get rid of the damsel. Luckily, when a fish doesn't workout they give me
store credit. I have a blue powder tang, one wrasse, one mauroon clownfish,
and one flame hawk. It's so sad I had to lose so many fish but the equipment
now is awesome. I guess we live and learn. Do you have any suggestions?
I also have wonderful live rock. It's gorgeous. It's a 75 gallon. I have four
other aquariums one 125 gallon with tons of african cichlids. My other tanks
have green severums. I've saved quite a few babies which I am really
quite proud of. The saltwater has been quite an experience but I could
have saved a lot of heartache if I researched myself and didn't just leave
it up to someone else. Thanks again and this site is great.

zipityzoom

Hi everyone. I recently bought an established 46 gallon bow front with cabinet from my mom. We sucessfully moved it from her house to mine without losing any fish. YEAH!!! I have about 60 lbs of live rock and live sand. Here are my fish....
Fox Face
Green bird wrasse
Valentine Puffer
Hawaiian Blue Puffer
Blenney
Large Gold stripe Maroon Clown
Coral Beauty
Flame Angel
Lyretail Anthias
a few Shaving Brush Plants
Two hermit crabs
and a fish that I can't remember his name. He is in the trigger family and is orange in the back with a purple face
What kind of tang and butterfly would you recommend for this tank. Everyone gets along fine. No fighting or picking at each other.
Glad everyone is getting some real advice. If you have some questions let me know. I learned a lot from my mom's mistakes. :happyfish

anderson's

As I promised above here is the list of our components:
  • 55 Gallon "All Glass Aquarium"
  • "Odyssea Light" It has 4 llittle blue LED's, 2 actinic blue 65 watts, 2 white 65 watts white, and 2 fans that turn on when the blue actinic lights are on
  • A no name heater that seams to work fine
  • Filter: Marineland bio-wheel pro 30 , and hot magnum canister
  • Red sea prizm protien skimmer
    1.5" of Crushed Corral
    3# of Tonga branch live rock
    We used oceanic natural sea salt
    Tap water
    We added 3 fish as a test on sunday: 2 Green chromis', and 1 Yellow tail damsel
So far the fish are doing great, but ofcourse this is only day 7 since we filled the thing with water. Also tonight we are testing our water again to check all levels. Our plan for the tank is pretty much fish only. If anyone could look over the list and offer any advice that would be great.

jojo_b

Originally Posted by Anderson's
As I promised above here is the list of our components:
    We added 3 fish as a test on sunday: 2 Green chromis', and 1 Yellow tail damsel
So far the fish are doing great, but ofcourse this is only day 7 since we filled the thing with water. Also tonight we are testing our water again to check all levels. Our plan for the tank is pretty much fish only. If anyone could look over the list and offer any advice that would be great.
$0.02 for ya. If the tank has yet to cycle, then I'd suggest returning the fish. 'Cause the nitrogenous compound spikes is prolly going to cause physiological damage. Lots of it.

stsweene

Originally Posted by zipityzoom
Hi everyone. I recently bought an established 46 gallon bow front with cabinet from my mom. We sucessfully moved it from her house to mine without losing any fish. YEAH!!! I have about 60 lbs of live rock and live sand. Here are my fish....
Fox Face
Green bird wrasse
Valentine Puffer
Hawaiian Blue Puffer
Blenney
Large Gold stripe Maroon Clown
Coral Beauty
Flame Angel
Lyretail Anthias
a few Shaving Brush Plants
Two hermit crabs
and a fish that I can't remember his name. He is in the trigger family and is orange in the back with a purple face
What kind of tang and butterfly would you recommend for this tank. Everyone gets along fine. No fighting or picking at each other.
Glad everyone is getting some real advice. If you have some questions let me know. I learned a lot from my mom's mistakes. :happyfish
{EDIT: language} Dude please tell me you dont have all those fish in a
46 gallon tank and are asking what kind of TANG you can add. PUT IT IN REVERSE... ABANDON SHIP --- all hands on deck... You are going to lose your entire tank if you dont get rid of alot of those fish, very quickly. WHat did your mom teach you???

zipityzoom

nope no joke.....I know it seems like a lot. but these fish have all been in the tank for over six months and everything is fine. The water is clear and tests are great. No ich or other sicknesses and no problems with any algae. I would think that levels would be off but I have no ammonia no nitrites ph is 8.2 and nitrates are 4. No problems. There was a yellow tand and a heniocus butterfly but my mom kept them. I'll post pics later. Thanks for the constructive criticism though. Everyone on here thinks they know everything, but if you take care of you tank and monitor the levels to determine if the fish are doing well, you can have more than what people think you can.

anderson's

Originally Posted by Jojo_B
$0.02 for ya. If the tank has yet to cycle, then I'd suggest returning the fish. 'Cause the nitrogenous compound spikes is prolly going to cause physiological damage. Lots of it.

Thanks for the $0.02, it really saved us more like $10.00. We are seeing the first signs of brown algae on our LR. So now I guess we will test water often and wait out the cycle. I am VERY open to all and any advice/criticism.
Thank you

sweetdawn

dont put any shrimp in with the bird wrasse it is n expensive lunch if i could catch that murderer he would be gone. my poor cute little cleaner shrimp

stsweene

Originally Posted by zipityzoom
nope no joke.....I know it seems like a lot. but these fish have all been in the tank for over six months and everything is fine. The water is clear and tests are great. No ich or other sicknesses and no problems with any algae. I would think that levels would be off but I have no ammonia no nitrites ph is 8.2 and nitrates are 4. No problems. There was a yellow tand and a heniocus butterfly but my mom kept them. I'll post pics later. Thanks for the constructive criticism though. Everyone on here thinks they know everything, but if you take care of you tank and monitor the levels to determine if the fish are doing well, you can have more than what people think you can.

do you use copper?

zipityzoom

Originally Posted by stsweene
do you use copper?

sometimes. I use it if I think there might even be a small chance of ich. I usually use a small amount because of the plants and crabs.