Soft coral ID

puffer32

I had my baby fungia positively identified finally. It looks similar to yours, but it doesn't have a base, completely flat, here's a pic when its fully open, its about the size of a nickel, when i found it on my zoos, it was about the size of a dime.

viet-tin

Ah I did some research and these are in fact young fungia. At a young age it developes on a stalk until it is mature and break off and becomes mobile. The stalk may continue to produce new polyps.

scotts

Susan, Thanks, I was hoping you would chime in with an opinon on this.
VT, Cool, glad to get a second opinion. From what I have seen these are slow growers, how was yours? Did you feed it anything sepcial?

viet-tin

Actually mine grew at a quick rate. It doubled in size over just a few months. It started smaller than a dime and now is bigger than a .50 coin. Ive had it for almost a year now. It all depends on what you consider slow, I have many colonies of sps and those are slow growers...well some of them are but you get the picture.
Oh and for feeding I never really fed it directly but every so often it would catch some mysis or whatever I fed the tank.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by viet-tin
Ah I did some research and these are in fact young fungia. At a young age it developes on a stalk until it is mature and break off and becomes mobile. The stalk may continue to produce new polyps.
Oh yeah! I nailed it early on!
Fungia in tha HOUSE!
Thanks viet-tin! I didnt know they grew stalks, I've always seent them just form on top of another plate and then break off.