Soft Coral Identification Please!

marvelfan

I never bought the green coral. When I set my 29 gallon up about a year ago these were not even visible. One day one polyp popped out of the rock and then boom.. it exploded. It just wants to go everywhere! The white one next to it on the left I did buy, but I can't remember what it was called. They are growing like weeds!
I'm moving everything over to my 120 soon and I'm debating on whether to keep them as I want to stop them from spreading. I was thinking of isolating each of them from the other rocks, like islands on the sand. I like the way they move with the flow, and then trimming them back if they grow onto the sand. Do you think these are worth fragging and selling to my LFS?

Here is a pic of the left white one all sucked in.

Can i just start cutting it or peeling it off the rock if I want to cut it back? I'm not sure what to do with the parts I cut off. Sell them? Throw them out? (is that ethical?).

tdegas12

I believe that is Green Star Polyp. You can frag it, but it really is a nice piece of coral. Not a type of nuisance corals like Aptasia. Can be fragged though

deton8it

Yes those are Green Star Polyps. Do you have a local reefing club? If you do then you can frag swap with some of the other members. If not then I would try LFS or Craigslist.
BTW tdegas, Aiptasia isn't a coral, it is a type of nuisance anemone.
John

marvelfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deton8it http:///t/394212/soft-coral-identification-please#post_3509624
Yes those are Green Star Polyps. Do you have a local reefing club? If you do then you can frag swap with some of the other members. If not then I would try LFS or Craigslist.
BTW tdegas, Aiptasia isn't a coral, it is a type of nuisance anemone.
John
Thank you for the response. I think I'll trim it back and see if I can sell the frags on craigslist. I'm looking into joining a local club. I live in Southeastern Wisconsin. Hoping to find one close by.
I love the look of the sway in the tank from this coral. I'm going to isolate it on the bottom of the new tank to try to stop it from spreading so fast. It is beautiful, but does take over if it has some rock it can reach.

deton8it

If you put it in the bottom of the new tank it will grow across the sand or glass. Either way, it looks like grass or green carpet. LOL
John