some kinda polyps or Aptasia?

wattsupdoc

Hi all can anyone identify these for me? They just showed up as far as I know today. At least I havent seen them before. There are about 4 or 5 of them all grouped together and they are very small. Like about the size of a small feather duster. Is it aptasia? :thinking: Maybe I'm paranoid. :hilarious Or are they some kinda polyp? If aptasia how do I get a syringe into the stem of this tiny thing?Hope the pics are good enough.
Thanks so much for you're help. It is allways appreciated.
Charlie

ryanhayes9

im bew to it and look up to you but they do look like astapia. go to a

[hr]
and tell them you need a syringe. tell them what its for and theyle give it to ya. get some more opionis though

cori

Hey Charlie...
I have just had my first round of aptasia removal. I bought some Jack's Juice, that comes with the syringe along with it. It works immediately!
I am not sure from the pictures.. the do look like Aptasia to me...but they look a bit different than the ones I had. Best to have one of the resident experts take a peek.

murph

They look more like yellow polyps to me. Cant tell from the picture but under proper lighting there should be no mistake about the yellow coloring if it is indeed a yellow polyp. Healthy yellow polyps under actinic lighting should be vary yellow; like this
yellow.
I believe that yellow polyps are in the aptasia family also which may be part of the confusion.

theappe

i guess to be on the safe side you can try peppermint shrimp or something else that eats aptaisia

el diablo

When I had aiptasia anenomes mine were completely transperent with very light brown tenacles. If you poke them do they go completey back into the rock?

wattsupdoc

Cool, I have a couple yellow polyps on another rock. Thet are much thicker and bigger though. Thats why I wasn't sure. These are tiny, tiny. theres 6 of em there. I dont see the button on them but I see the pic does(12x magnification). Awesome! Another cool hitchiker!

Thanks all!

jerthunter

I was going to say hydroid also.. I had a big group that I pasted over with joe's juice and that killed them but apparently they will go away over time if you keep your water clean.

wattsupdoc

Heres a better pic. I moved the rock closer tothe front to get a better pick and they sucked up inside like a tube worm does. what problems do they pose and should I exterminate 'em? If so how? Can i just pick em off thet rock? Will they go away on their own?

murph

Definitely not yellow polyps. I think Ophiura is on the better track as far as identity.
Joes juice should take care of them pretty quick.

ophiura

Them thar things is tube hydroids. Not the easiest to get rid of. You can try manual removal or the Joe's Juice, as recommended.

wattsupdoc

Ryanhayes, glad to see everythings workin out for you. You seem to be a pretty good kid. I think you said you were 17 or something? Also I think I heard on some thread you weren't going salt yet. I understand that! You.ve got an awesome tank there.Hang on to it, maybe get some fish with plants and start building towards going salt as you do that. Might make it easier on you're pocketbook. Also look around for some other salt junkies around you. These people are great. They'll help you out quite a bit. Check yardsales and flea markets and clasifieds as much as you can. Sometimes people wanna just get rid of stuff so they let it go for next to nothing. Also you can buy some baserock fromLFS (mine sells it for 2.00 a lb.) and just hang on to it till you're ready to go. Do alot of reading and get to know the hobby and stuff as much as you can and then when you're ready to go it'll be alot easier. Both on you're pocket and you're mind!!!
I'm just a newbee too, and it's been expensive so far and I thought when I started all I needed was some salt and fish!
Boy was I wrong. And I'm only halfway to where I want to go. You can start the tank up and get something going for not too much even right now if you play you're cards right and take you're time too though.
Thanx!
Charlie