some one please help this is my 3rd post!!

fedukeford

i just had a couple questions about quarintine tanks... are the nessacary or do most people just have them??? and how big shjould they be ?? i have a old freshwater tank thats around 10 gallons is that big enough??

carshark

Originally Posted by fedukeford
i just had a couple questions about quarintine tanks... are the nessacary or do most people just have them??? and how big shjould they be ?? i have a old freshwater tank thats around 10 gallons is that big enough??

a ten gallon will work for small to med fish when you buy them but down the road you will probably want to go like a 29 gallon or so, that way just in case you have a full sized fish that needs QT he wont be stressed out as well with whatever his problem is......and YES QT are neccessary, they will save tons and tons of headaches down the road...absolutely a must have IMO

fedukeford

is there anything else i should get for my tank .. right now all i have is a light,filter,heater, and thermometer????

mdog30001

get a protein skimmer. Also if u want u can get a refugium but u dont need those if u dont want one. If u dont know wat a refugium is just type it in the search bar, u'll find it.

dmitry

I'm sorry, but I really don't think you need a protein skimmer and a refugium for your QT tank (unless you're rich.) The fish won't be in the QT long enough to need them. The very basics are enough: heater, power-head for water-movement, a hang-on-the-back filter, some sort of lighting, and something for fish to hide in (PVC pipes, fake decorations, etc.)

dmitry

No, no clean-up crew. If you have to treat the fish for any diseases the medication will kill all of the inverts! Same for live rock: the medication will "pollute" the rock and make it unusable in any aquarium with inverts in it. Just do a small water change every day (a gallon or so) while the fish is QT'd for a few weeks to keep the water from cycling (assuming you're not cycling it.) I've kept some live rock rubble in the QT tank instead of any fake decorations, but would never place that rock into the main aquarium. It's reserved for the QT and helps to clean the water, but it's meant for the QT exclusively!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If you are planning on keep fish, and don't want to deal with fish diseases contaminating your display, then you need to have a QT. 10 gal would be ok as long as you get small fish. And, for a 29 gal tank, that is all you should get, small fish.

carshark

beth has it right here, no need for all that jazz for a QT, and no clean up crew it isnt neccessary, besides if you do decide to use chemical treatments(copper) for any outbreaks of ick or any disease in the future inverts would die, especially since there shouldnt be a substrate really in a QT because anything other than a small decoration and filtration/circulation system will soak up the treatments. I personally dont reccomend at all anything besides hyposalinity or fishless tank for treating diseases but its up to you. the same chemical that kills the disease hurts fish too!

goldenboy

I won't do hyposalinity unless I see a reason for it. I monitor the fish for 3-4 weeks, and assuming I don't see any disease I won't do hyposalinity. There is no need to stress yourself on treatments unless you have sick fish.

carshark

umm yeah thats the point of treatment, isnt it? im not saying hyposalinity unless your fish have ick, however if the tank has been infected at one point, and you have fish living there now, even if they dont show signs of ick, its still there!!! treatments are used to battle a disease hypo isnt neccessary if there is no disease..... :thinking:

carshark

Originally Posted by goldenboy
I won't do hyposalinity unless I see a reason for it. I monitor the fish for 3-4 weeks, and assuming I don't see any disease I won't do hyposalinity. There is no need to stress yourself on treatments unless you have sick fish.
read my post again.....next time respond to me after you read it.

goldenboy

Originally Posted by carshark
read my post again.....next time respond to me after you read it.
calm down, and I'll explain a little slower for you.
this person asked about qt tanks in general, not because there was a sick fish in question. MOST people keep qt tanks handy in case of a problem. In which case you need to know about hyposalinity. Otherwise a qt tank is handy to handle new fish, in which case I would monitor them WITHOUT hyposalintiy. I was responding to the fact that you can have a small cleaner crew unless you do hyposalintiy.

carshark

Originally Posted by goldenboy
calm down, and I'll explain a little slower for you.
this person asked about qt tanks in general, not because there was a sick fish in question. MOST people keep qt tanks handy in case of a problem. In which case you need to know about hyposalinity. Otherwise a qt tank is handy to handle new fish, in which case I would monitor them WITHOUT hyposalintiy. I was responding to the fact that you can have a small cleaner crew unless you do hyposalintiy.

took a drag off my ciggy.....,ok calm, i was responding to the fact of the use of QTs and in the event of getting a new fish putting him in the QT and breaks out with ick.....the reasoning for explaining disease treatments was to give advice on what to put in a QT because of how you treat them and what is neccessary to have in there, or un-neccessary...im calm now, i took it the wrong way but i think we are all trying to help here....

goldenboy

Originally Posted by carshark
took a drag off my ciggy.....,ok calm, i was responding to the fact of the use of QTs and in the event of getting a new fish putting him in the QT and breaks out with ick.....the reasoning for explaining disease treatments was to give advice on what to put in a QT because of how you treat them and what is neccessary to have in there, or un-neccessary...im calm now, i took it the wrong way but i think we are all trying to help here....

o.k. good advice either way.