some people... (vent)

wangotango

During the summer I work as a grounds keeper on a driving range. When I go in in the morning (between 5:30 and 7 depending) I leave the front gate unlocked since not all the people who work in the clubhouse have a gate key, but I put the chain and padlock back through to keep it closed so that nobody ventures in before we open (9am). Next to the gate is a large sign that has the name of the place and our hours.
So I was out on the field working and I look back towards the clubhouse and there's this woman hitting balls. Not a bucket of balls, she was out of the field hitting balls around and chipping them backwards towards our chipping green. I went over to her and said that we don't open for another 45 minutes, and asked how she got in. She said since the gate was unlocked that she figured it was ok to come in. She then gave me the padlock that was on the gate! I told her I couldn't and wasn't going to sell her anything until we opened at 9. She said that was fine and walked away... Of course she left the gate half open, which of course meant that more people showed up (which I managed to shoo away).
Now previous times I've left the gate half open in case we were getting a delivery of something, and sometimes people came through thinking the wind blew the gate partially closed. That I can understand. But if the gate is closed so are we! You have to pass the sign that has our hours on it too. If the sign says "open daily 9am-9pm" and your car clock says "8:15" and the front gate is closed why the hell would you think it's ok to come in and hit a few before your tee time?
Four years of dealing with the stupid things golfers do, but this one topped my list...
Rant over...

reefraff

Depending on the state what she did could be considered breaking and entering. Some people just don't get it.

speg

Speaking of driving range..does it upset you when you're out on your lil buggy collecting balls and golfers purposely try to hit you and make wagers on it??????
>:)

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by WangoTango
http:///forum/post/3287595
Four years of dealing with the stupid things golfers do, but this one topped my list...
Rant over...
I've been dealing with the stupid things golfers do on a full time basis for 13 years now....That wouldn't even make my top 50, I think I'm numb to their stupidity.

mrdc

Ahhh...reminds my of so many stories of what stupid things golfers can do. I worked at a golf course for several years while in college.

wangotango

Originally Posted by Speg
http:///forum/post/3287597
Speaking of driving range..does it upset you when you're out on your lil buggy collecting balls and golfers purposely try to hit you and make wagers on it??????
>:)
When the little kids try it's actually fun, and I goof around with them (stopping, swerving, speeding up). When the teenagers/people my age do it purposefully it gets old...

stdreb27

lol, that is why you lock the gate.... It always amazed me when with the light off, well after hours, and the doors locked people still tried to open the door to my store (back in the day when I worked retail) it would be 2 hours after closing. (and mind you this is a small town, we'd be the only thing open till 8 pm) People would come rolling up, and with the light out, no one in the front of the store, beat on our door, and give it a huge tug, 4-5 times as if it will magically open after they try it the first few times. Then sit there staring in...
But that wouldn't even get near the stupid customer stories... Once I had a guy break his phone in half, and throw it at me... Then pick it up and throw it at his wife. When she started apologizing.

wangotango

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/3287598
I've been dealing with the stupid things golfers do on a full time basis for 13 years now....That wouldn't even make my top 50, I think I'm numb to their stupidity.

The brain turns off when the golf shoes go on...

speg

I've got some great golf stories...
Once we decided to go muddin in the golf cart...so we got into a swamp area and got stuck..spun the wheels and mud was EVERYWHERE.... all over the cart, our bags, US...
When we got out of the mud a ranger met us and said "Was that you guys that got stuck?"...we couldn't really lie since the proof was all over us....we said "Yeah, we're good now" and the ranger really had nothing to say except "Ok....well.....try and keep it on the path..."

meowzer

Originally Posted by Speg
http:///forum/post/3287606
I've got some great golf stories...
Once we decided to go muddin in the golf cart...so we got into a swamp area and got stuck..spun the wheels and mud was EVERYWHERE.... all over the cart, our bags, US...
When we got out of the mud a ranger met us and said "Was that you guys that got stuck?"...we couldn't really lie since the proof was all over us....we said "Yeah, we're good now" and the ranger really had nothing to say except "Ok....well.....try and keep it on the path..."
LOL...I would have said no, it wasn't us....we were trying to get the other guy out but he sank

flower

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3287609
LOL...I would have said no, it wasn't us....we were trying to get the other guy out but he sank

I just told this story to my mom using Meowzers ending....she laughed so hard, the creation of a good joke.

mrdc

I like the stupid crook show or something like that with the cop pulling over the guy going down the road in a golf cart. Once the cop began the questioning, you could obviously see the guy was really drunk. Well the guy said he was looking for the clubhouse. The cop informed him that the clubhouse was 1.5 miles in the other direction.

Needless to say, I know the guy got a dui but I wonder if he was charged with taking the golf cart.

ibanez

With the kind of money I have spent to play a game of human fetch, I should own a golf course.
Most people do it to relax, they probably have other things on their mind, and I am sure it wasn't intentional. Just smile and enjoy your job.

V

vinnyraptor

i thought most golfer's are affluent educated white republicans. your calling them stupid? go figure, lol.