some simple questions

rlablan

So I am getting ready to order my new tank. It's a 150 long with side overflow (for the peninsula look) from glasscages.com.
I am debating ordering their 'custom' sump that comes with the whole job. It's gonna cost an extra $236.
Questions-
1- Has anyone here ever order their sump? Can you tell me if you like it, and possible post a pic so I can see what their idea of 'custom' is??
2- Should I just build my own? I have been watching videos on youtube all night and I think I could do it. Did you do it? Was is hard and has it worked well for you?

[hr]
---Skimmers---
Who is using them?
What brand?
Please list some pros and cons. I have no idea what type of skimmer I should look at. But it needs to be an in sump one. Depending on the skimmer, this could influence my decision on whether I will make my own sump.
Thanks All,
Rae

flower

Wow, that is a beautiful tank and you have expensive taste. I can’t afford one but it looks really nice. I know nothing about sumps, but I imagine you must have one with such a setup because (IMO) you need a skimmer, and an in sump one is your only choice.

nikesb

glasscages sump is nothing you should pay that much for. depending on the space you have underneath your aquarium, i would just make one. would be less than 100$ to make it. theyre not hard at all to make. as for the skimmer how much are you willing to spend?
and in sump is not your only choice...theres some pretty big hob skimmers out there, including cone skimmers.

rlablan

Flower- Hahaha yes I do... Sometimes it gets me into trouble. I am willing to spend so much on this tank because I am NOT going to EVER get rid of it
. When we move to Dallas, we are planning on using it as a room divider... either between our living room/dining room, library/hallway... something like that, where it will be between 2 rooms where no one will need to be n-ked...
so it won't be between a bathroom or bedroom. So instead of getting other tanks to fill the void... why not go for the whole sha-bang now? lol
Nick- I did finally find the pic of their sump online and you are 100% right. It looks like something that I could easily make myself. I have decided to go to petsmart or somewhere and find a good tank and just do it myself. I believe that The Home Depot right next to me is one that sells and cuts glass so that will make it easy.
As far as the skimmer goes... I will DEFINiTELY want an in sump one. I am sure that there are great HOB ones but I don't want any equipment showing..... especially since I am using it as a divider. I don't want some bulky thing with a big ugly collection cup sticking out in the middle of things.
I was looking at the ASM line... those prices seem fair to me... I was thinking something in the neighborhood of like 300 bucks, give or take. Does that seem like a good ball park for a good skimmer? I was looking into a SaltWaterConnection (SWC) brand. I was recommended one and I think someone on here has one and told me they liked it. But the ASM looks a bit cheaper. I was thinking maybe the asm G-2 or the ams G-1xtreme. Those (I think) are rated for like 150-200 gallons. And I don't plan to have a very big bioload.
Thanks for the help and responses. Any more info/feed back will be greatly appreciated.
(oh- and there will most certainly be a build thread
)

beaslbob

One thing to consider is using plastic storage containers for the refuguim and sump. Large one for refug small one for sump.
but you do still have to buy the pump.
and with either you will have to do the plumbing.
my .02

rlablan

I actually bought my pump last night. A brand new mag drive 24 for 70 bucks. I also picked up a 9.5 for mixing salt/ pumping it in... 100 bucks for both. Also, today my tunze wave box arrived from the bay site. I am getting excited.
Bob- exactly how would I use plastic bins for the sump/ fuge?? I don't get that... Also I think it'll be a little ugly. does it make it difficult to see into? I would think it would make it dark or hard to see into.

beaslbob

Originally Posted by rlablan
http:///forum/post/3256481
Bob- exactly how would I use plastic bins for the sump/ fuge?? I don't get that... Also I think it'll be a little ugly. does it make it difficult to see into? I would think it would make it dark or hard to see into.
You're correct it would be ugly. So you you want a more display fuge/sump then you might want to do something else.
Mine are in my stand. I put the refuge fore and aft so the back stuck out and the drain could go straight down the my wet/dry into the refug.
here is a diagram and I'm sure you may want to make improvements:
my .02

rlablan

So I went to ***** and picked up a 29 tall. It's only a few less gallons than the one from GC.com but I think with the height of 29, it'll be enough for the back flow... here is to hoping because I am having problems figuring out how much room I need and how all of that will work. So... If this sump isn't big enough... we'll go from there.
Also- got my wave box today and my BF installed it. Seems to work awesome on one of my existing tanks. There is so much stuff in my water column now. It's sort of strange. I do have another question.
Is this wave box going to make enough flow?
I am used to using koralias and I guess I have just become accustomed to having that stream of water being thrust out so forcefully and bombarding my corals and fish with such strength. Now everything is much much more than with my koralias but it's so gentle. All the corals are waving gently and gracefully...
Can this be right?

rlablan

Working on the sump as we speak. Trying to get this down. I have a 20 gallon and I am thinking about how to turn the into a refugium. How will I plumb that in? Do I plumb the overflow to the sump, then to the refugium, them back up to the tank?? Or do I need two completely different sets of plumbing, complete with a separate pump???
Is anyone there? lols

rlablan

Can you explain this in more detail bang? Can you tell me how you do this?? If it is not too much trouble maybe you could post a pic of your setup???? I am a little confused as to how this setup should be plumbed and how it should be executed.

bang guy

Can't get a picture because it's plumbed between two floors.
Basically the overflows from the display tank dump into my homemade skimmer. From there the water flows into the refugium. The refugium flows into the sump. The pump sends the water back up to the display tank.
My suggestion for you is to have you refugium as a seperate container that's higher than your sump. Split the water from the overflow so that one part flows directly to your sump and the other goes to your refugium. Place valves after the split so you can control how much water goes through the refugium.
I would guess that several people have theirs set up this way and hopefully they can provide a picture.

rlablan

Attachment 241412So I sketched this up. I don't know if this is right. Will this flow properly? If not, could you tell me how to change this set up so that it will flow correctly??
I am just so lost on this. It's not something I have done before. Am I even on the right track?
Thanks again Bang Guy.

rlablan

Attachment 241413Attachment 241414Attachment 241415Also, here are some pics of my SUMP That I made. No leaks and it's not the prettiest when it comes to silicone but I think it will work. And it only cost my a little under 100 bucks. I saved myself a lot of money by making this.
Thanks for the advice NickSB, beals and Bang. I am glad that I made this myself.

bang guy

Your pic is fine. The center chamber of your sump looks like it is intended to be a small refugium, is it?

rlablan

Yes it was... sort of. Can I put things like mangroves and sand in there, but also put a skimmer in that chamber as well?
The end chamber, for the return, is small and I made it so that it wouldn't waste space. It has enough room for my Mag drive 24 but that is about it.

[hr]
If I made the large tank that I just made into the fuge and use something like a 20 gallon for the sump... Will the smaller sump tank need an area for a bubble trap too? It will essentially be going through the bubble trap on the 'fuge' right before it enters into the mini "sump" tank.
Could this situation benefit my setup, and I, more?
Thanks.
Rae

rlablan

Um yes. Yes I can.
1st chamber is 15 1/2h x 6w
2nd chamber is 12h x13w
Then the bubble trap
Return chamber 10h x 8 1/2w