some sump/refuge questions before i build

thisistodd

ok so i am building my sump out of a 29 gal glass tank, and i think i will use a design i have seen a few times. it is the one that has a refugium separated on the right side gravity dumping into the return pump area, and fed by a ball valve on the overflow line or return line. my quesstion is. should i paint the divider for the fue or do something to stop light from getting into the main sump area?? i would also need to do something about the open space between the fuge and sump area. wouldnt algae grow all over my pump if i dont do that and let light hit it? also, does anyone know of something that i can glue to the glass to act as a stopper (to set an eggcrate on for my wet dry filter) thanks

squidd

I "think" that if you keep your light low and focused on the fuge area that you really won't see much algae build up in the surronding chambers...
The light that "passes through" glass partitions is refracted and less able to feed the algae...
However any "direct" light that shines on your pump or skimmer or clear hoses Will grow algae in those areas...
At least that has been my experiance...
Look at this picture of my sump/fuge...
Fuge on left and return pump chamber in center...no algae (other than coraline) growing "right next" to the fuge...I don't "clean" the return chamber other than to "suck" detrius out from time to time...
However look at the top portion of the skimmer (it recieves "some" direct light) there is a little algae starting to grow there...
Also notice the white (solid) hoses...to keep algae from growing in there...Been there done that,,,

squidd

There's a set in the Photography Forum under "Reef tank Filtration Showdown...
If you have any other specific questions let me know...