Someone Help me out with setting up a nano please?

chandler04

Okay, I would like to do a nano tank just to get a lil bit of corals and maybe one clownfish. Im thinking fairly small, like 5 gallons, maybe more. I just need to know wat type of lights I should use. I know it is small, so it wont be needing that much light. LOL, I will most likely beusing poland spring bottles to do the water changes, and start it off with nutra seawater. What type of filtration would you guys recommend anyways for one of these tanks? Maybe like a nice pice of fiji for the middle? Also, do corals actually come attatched to rocks? Now, could i use the red sea nano filter? They have em at my lfs, but they are mechanical. Is that okay? It uses carbon and such. One last thing. Where is a nice place that I could find a tank this size, and would it come with a strong enough light? Thank you guys, Any other suggestions would help and be greatly appreciated.

marvida

Unless you're set on a 5, think about going with a 10. They only cost about 10 bucks and it's easy to find stuff that fits. 28W PC's work well as does a 96W Quad. and there's room to hang skimmers etc. Just a thought.

flatzboy

Get the eclipse 6 they have a decent light and you can do most soft corals and a sponge maybe. In the future you can always retro fit a stronger light into the hood.

chandler04

Where exactly can i get a $10 10 gallon tank? Also, how much would a light cost anyway? I would like to get an anemone in there, but I dont wanna drop a load on it. I'll look around, then you guys tell me if its good or not. Thanx

chandler04

The eclipse 5 gallon system has a 15 watt bulb on it. For a 5 gallon, is 15 watts allright, or is it not enough?

lionfish12

may need a little more light.. get a 10 gallon tank from wal-mart and get a good light from the fish store that is able to surport corals.

chandler04

Get this, a 2.5 acrylic made by all glass aquarium, lol. BUT< it has a 15 watt bulb as well, would THAT be better?

chandler04

Wat can i put in the 2.5? Wat if I got the 5 gallon instead? Wat differences would there be? Could I possibly fit one of those like 50 watt type flourescent bulbs into the hood socket?

chandler04

Well, I would really like to get something that mostly comes together. Can u tell me somewhere that I can buy a 10 gallon setup with like maybe a filter and light, and then if I can put a different bulb in? Cuz, im thinking i might be able to get the 5 gallon, then just swap out the bulb for a more powerful one. Then put like a small skimmer on it.

chandler04

One more, hows about the jbj complete aquariums, it coes with a built in wet dry, 24 watt fluorescent, 12 gallons.

marvida

A lot of people like them. Do a search for 12 gallon on the Nano forum & you should find some good setup info for them.

chandler04

I found out that smartlite makes a very cheap retrofit that is 32 watts for stuff like min-bows. Check it out, do a search. They are 32, then 65, and it fits inside one of those tiny tanks.

clown_nut

Right Now i am running a 10 gallon with glass canopy and Coralife 96w quad 50/50. Has a aquatech 10-20 120gph hang on filter and one cascade 80gph hang on. They make great circulation for the tank. As far as a good price for that light of mine email me for a good place to buy one right now..as far as price goes.