something ate my feather and 2 parts of serpents legs

tax lady

Don't know what..need some ideas. My feather from featherduster is gone. Yesterday was partially gone. The worm almost came all the way out of his shell. Never seen that before. And my serpent star has part o f 2 of his legs cut. I found one part =was almost an inch long. Just like something ate it off. Anyway all the fish I have are 2 clowns and a diamond goby. Have a sally and somewhere there should be an emerald crab. Also snails and hermits. Only thing I can think of is the goby. Do you think he would do that.? also have a lta but starfish never goes near it.
Any ideas anyone?
Sure would like to solve this problem as I didn't think I had any cannibals in the tank.

ophiura

Can you please post your water parameters and anything you have recently done to the tank? Both of these can be due to a water parameter issue.
Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alk, calcium, specific gravity...

tax lady

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/3095118
Can you please post your water parameters and anything you have recently done to the tank? Both of these can be due to a water parameter issue.
Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alk, calcium, specific gravity...
thanks, I will get them for you in a while.

ophiura

Also how long have you had the featherduster and brittle? If less than about a week, how did you acclimate?

tax lady

http:///forum/post/3095270
Also how long have you had the featherduster and brittle? If less than about a week, how did you acclimate?
a few months. They were both doing fine till a couple of days ago.
Sorry I have not taken my params yet. I just ordered some new test kits that I do not have, but will take the time to get the tests that I do have kits for.
The serpent star is not a brittle. I use to have one but turned him in for a smooth serpent. I found him too aggressive and blamed him for some of my deaths.
One thing though, I had ordered some new actinic lights, and now my white florescent one is not working, so that may be a problem. I ordered some new ones, but prob will not arrive for a few days. Do yo think that the corals and fish will be o.k. without the daylight ones for a few days? So all i will have is the actinic lights.

ophiura

Yes, there shouldn't be a problem with the lights for a few days.
The green brittlestar, if that is what you had, is a known predator in the wild. All of these guys (brittle or serpent - there is no difference biologically), must be kept well fed and should not be left to scavenge. If you are not spot feeding your star at least once a week, I would recommend doing so.

tax lady

http:///forum/post/3095559
Yes, there shouldn't be a problem with the lights for a few days.
The green brittlestar, if that is what you had, is a known predator in the wild. All of these guys (brittle or serpent - there is no difference biologically), must be kept well fed and should not be left to scavenge. If you are not spot feeding your star at least once a week, I would recommend doing so.
I have been feeding him, but now all he does is hide. Changes places too so i never know where he is. Guess the missing leg parts are responsible for that.

tax lady

Star has been up front today but would not eat when I put lots of brine shrimp in front of him. Don't know what it wrong.

tax lady

I put this on before but can't find it.
Anyway, looks like my serpent star wants to die. He won't eat and came in front of the tank, then went in back again.
Also the feather never did come back yet on my feather duster.
Did not get in my other test kits, but params of the ones I have:
ph 7.8 (cant get it to go any higher,,,,any suggestions?)
Nitrates 5 or 10 (can't make out the colors real good)
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
sp 1.25
Anybody have any idea what caused this?