something curious sitting on top of my sand star

joyfnp

Hello all,
I wrote a while back about my two sand stars pseudo copulating a few months ago; well I now see what look like orange eggs sitting on top of the bigger star. Is this possible? I thought this didn't happen in your average aquarium? And I would post a pic, but I cannot figure out how to get my pics down to the correct size.
I made sure the star was alive by prodding it a little with a pipette and it's definitely moving. And these eggs, if that's what they are, when I tried to prod them off of her, it's almost as if there is a hole into the leg underneath the "egg" pouch. Should I be worried?
Help!

mushroomss

well first of all starfish dont reproduce like that.One of there arms seperates from the disc.from there on it grows its own disc and legs.Those things you have on your starfish look like parasites.and if they go that far into the skin i can almost gurantee you that is what they are.my 2 cents

joyfnp

From what I have read on another site, wetweb, star fish do sometimes lay eggs. At least that's the implication. Ophiura?

ophiura

Originally Posted by mushroomss
well first of all starfish dont reproduce like that.One of there arms seperates from the disc.from there on it grows its own disc and legs.Those things you have on your starfish look like parasites.and if they go that far into the skin i can almost gurantee you that is what they are.my 2 cents

Not all seastars reproduce this way. Pretty much all seastars, even those that can reproduce asexually, still can reproduce sexually as well.
I am interested to know if there are big holes in the animal, or if the behavior is an issue, etc.
It is still not likely to reproduce even if they are eggs. Spawning is not all that unusual in captivity. But you can also see this sort of thing if the animal is disintegrating and you are seeing internal organs.

joyfnp

Hello all,
Thanks for the replies. The one leg of the star that had the biggest clump on it is now much smaller than the other legs. and I can see right through the center of the star. It was on the glass when I got home from work and I could see through it. I do think it's disintergrating. Since the center seems to be damaged, do I just destroy the star?

joyfnp

just wanted to repost a new pic of the changes I'm seeing. The star is developing white patches that I think will turn into more holes. The tissue is kind of white and cottony and blowing in the current.

joyfnp

I have had the star about 8-10 months; I give a range because I have 2 stars and I got one before the other.
Parameters:
ammonia 0
Nitrate 5
sp grav 1.022
temp 77

ophiura

I'm quite concerned about your specific gravity, which is very low for stars. It is better around 1.025-1.026. But if you do raise it, it should be very slowly done.

joyfnp

I'm in the process of getting water together for a water change and am mxing the usual 1/2 cup salt mix per gallon. I have the 7 gallon containers with a spigot on them and plan on doing 2 containers i.e., 12-14 gallons for a 20% change. Should I do maybe 1.5 cups of salt/gal in the second 7 gallon container?
Could the relatively low SP GR also have something to do with why my polyps are staying closed up? I have been attributing the polyps problem to needing to change my compact flurescent bulbs, and they will be in at the LFS on Tuesday. They about 7 months old, at least, as I bought the unit used.
Thanks for the help on the star.

ophiura

Originally Posted by Allterr
I might be wrong (been known to happen) but don't most stars only live a year or so?

Only because most are unsuitable for our tanks and starve.
In the wild, in fact, they can live a very very very long time. In fact it is argued whether or not seastars actually suffer and die of "old age."
I would personally raise the specific gravity by topping off with saltwater instead of fresh, though you can bump it slightly with a water change as well.