Something in the water

finland

About 1-1/2 months or so ago, my RO unit started leaking, so I started using tap water to top off, and disconnected my RO unit. I tested my tap water for ammonia, nititres,ph(7.6), nitrates, phosphates and copper. All tested 0. So I figured it might be OK to use for awhile until I got my new RO. My corals sure did not like the water. That is the only thing I did different and boy did the corals take a turn for the worse and quick. The bubbles wouldn't open up very much, mushrooms shrunk, colt I think may be a goner, acro turned white in 2 days, etc... Well I got my new RO, and did a large water change a week ago. I top off 1-2 gallons/day. The corals look much better. So I guess I learned an expensive lesson, even if the water tests good, there might be something in it that we don't test for that is a killer to the corals. I did not lose any crabs or snails though. Just venting here.

wolffam

I agree, you didn't mention anything about adding chlorine remover to your tapwater before doing the top off.