something is killing my hermit crabs

aquaman623

i have about 35 hermits, but something is killing them. could my brittle star be the killer?? it is a large one. i have lost about 2 every other day. i started with 45. can anyone help me??

rockies

45 hermits seems like a high number to me. Perhaps they are killing each other for their shells. Do you have a sufficient supply of extra shells for them to swap peacefully?

aquaman623

yes i have a crushed coral medium with shells, and i put about 40 shells in. the crabs range in size from 1/4inch to 1inch. i thought you need 1 crab per 1gal, for clean-up.:notsure:

new_noob

there is the problem, Blue legs are agressive, you can only have blue legs, or only scarlets. Plant some bait in the middle of the tank and wait for all of the bluelegs to come out and then, BAM!, snatch them, you might be able to trade them for some more scarlets.

nayr

if you can't keep blue and scarlet crabs together, why does the lfs sell them in "reef packages?" even this site sells them that way. i have kept blue and scarlet crabs together in a 55 and now in a 90 and have never witnessed any agression.