something is wrong with my baby trigger.

trigger40

i think some thing is wrong with my baby bursa trigger:(. it all started about a week ago when he refused to eat anything but mysis and he would not even eat that much of it. and yesterday he didnt even come out for feeding. so when i get home today i see him leand up agenst a rock. he wasnt breathing heavy at all though. he was just sitting there chilled out. for that past few weeks he has been hiding most of the day but never like this out in the open. so i netted him out and he hardly tried to swim away so i put him in my qt and he slowly crused around for a few minutes and i then tried to feed him but he took no notice. he finaly found a place to just sit there and he has been doing that all day. its also weird that he missed feeding time yesterday but has the fattest belly of all my fish. im worried he might not make it. but is there any ideas that might address the issue?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What are the water parameters in the QT as well as the display? You have an established QT, right? If so, try treatment with Maracyn Two for SW fish. What other symptoms??

Trigger.....you have a lot of problems with keeping fish it seems. What is the size of your display and other fish within? What do you normally feed your fish and how often? Is your tank FOWLR?

trigger40

well all of these problems are from fish that i just purchased and placed in a qt. i have two qts. a 15g wich holds my yellow tang, he had some problems but every thing seems fine now. i have this 10g that i had sitting around that i turned into a holding tank for cool reef fish i colected than gave away so i turned it into a qt for the trigger. my tank is a 40g reef tank, i only keep soft corals. i am ugrading to a 125g at the end of this month for my tang and triggers. i feed my fish every day. my tang's qt gets a veggie clip every day + rods food/mysis every other day. the dt gets a veggie clip every day and mysis, squid, and silversides every other day. on the days i dont feed my triggers i give them freeze dried shrimp to help with their teeth. the other fish in there are purple dottyback, ocellaris clown, and a 3'' humu trigger.(the bursa trigger is 1.5'') in the beginning i faled to qt my humu trigger because i was not awar of the danger. so once i added more fragile they broke out with ich and it took me two months to beat it.(thas where my problems started) so these are my water perameters.

the display tank:
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10
ph 8.2
salinity 1.024

15g qt:
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10
ph 8.1
salinity 1.023

10g qt:
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 15
ph 8.0
salinity 1.021

i also do biweekly water changes. and there really no other symptoms besides not eating and laying around all day and slowly swimming around to find anouther place to sit around and its fins do look a little ripped up but not badly and its breathing normaly.

Last edited:

mauler

For most internal problems the fish will have to ingest the meds

Last edited:

trigger40

lol at least i wont haft to feed as much. that should really help out with my water quality. i still want to know why this happend to my trigger.

mauler

I guess that's one way to look at it. Beth might be able to tell you about some internal problems fish get I don't know much about them

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I think some of your problem may resolve with the bigger tank. You are just putting too many larger fish, and fish that require larger tanks, into a tank that at best good for 1-2" fish such as clowns.

Water conditions seems to be good. I personally feel that fish should be fed every day. That is what happens in the wild.

trigger40

well the triggers are fine in a tank that size for a few years because they grow so slow. but i agree a bigger tank is needed. and when i get it in a few weeks im gona have a lot of questions. thankyou guys for the help.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
well the triggers are fine in a tank that size for a few years because they grow so slow. but i agree a bigger tank is needed. and when i get it in a few weeks im gona have a lot of questions. thankyou guys for the help.
How small the fish are is not necessarily relevant to needed tank size.