Somewhere to sell/trade my fish?

chaosfyre

Hello all,
I just joined up though this forum has been really useful for me to refer to when researching.
My question is, does anyone know of a website like craigslist, except for fish? I mean, single people selling or trading individual fish of theirs. I joined up at my local aquarium club, but its not very active and seems more focused on fresh water fish. I checked aquabids online, but its all freshwater too, mostly.
Basically, I'm looking for online prices, but without the huge shipping cost. The local petstore gets a huge shipment bundle on a restocking truck every week whether they want to or not, so they shouldn't add the cost of shipping to each individual item, but they do! The fish in the store are almost exactly internet price + shipping.
They can order whatever I want, but if I was going to buy something with shipping cost attached, I'd just get exactly the specimen I want online instead of getting whatever happens to come into the store...
In case you guys are wondering why I ask, I've got some sort of wrasse that I think is a blue-headed fairy wrasse. You can see it in my photo album in my profile. I want to trade the wrasse out eventually because my dream wrasse is a mckosker's or carpenter's flasher wrasse.
Also, the other dream fish I'm interested in someday gaining are flame angel and coral beauty, and a pair of snowflake clowns & a pair of black and white clowns.
(I know the angel and coral beauty may have trouble getting along, but I'm willing to do whatever is needed to make it happen... I.E. getting different specimen with different personality, taking a fish out for a week and then re-acclimating it, adding more rock with more hiding places, introducing at same time or different times depending on which individual is most aggressive, whatever. It has been done, and I am aware of the possible issues.)

btldreef

You do realize that Saltwaterfish.com is a website that sells fish, right?
We are not allowed to post links to other forums (where fish are sold) or to other websites.
Sorry

sweatervest13

I would not add both angels in a single tank. One or the other. Could it be done??? Maybe, but you would probably kill a few trying.
Try searching for a local SW fish forum. In Michigan we have something like you were asking about. I got a pair of MP40's off of my local site, and I just sold my old MH lights. I mostly use if for buying and selling equipment, but I see livestock for sale or trade all the time.
Buying online may be more expensive but you get a live guarantee (14 or 15 days). Most if not all LFS have zero live guarantees.

chaosfyre

Thanks for the pm's guys! I wasn't sure if the rule was against other companies, or if it was against individuals. For instance, would it be against the rules to advertise my personal fish for sale/trade here? In which case, would linking to craigslist be considered against the rules, since it is basically just a bunch of individuals?
I guess it is better to play it on the safe side. Again, thanks for the helpful pm's!

S

siptang

Yes its against the rules to post buy and sell posts here however I don't think asking our opinions or advices are against the rules. Please correct me if im wrong guys.

flower

I'm with you Siptang.
As I understand the rules...It's okay to ask questions like, how much should I sell my stuff for? YOU CAN ASK...Where can I get such and such...then we tell them about SWF.com or if SWF doesn't have said fish...LOL.. "hint" about another site without actually saying it. EXAMPLE: "Look for such a fish at a place with depot and fish in it's name". We can always give stuff away, and only have somebody pay the shipping. PM can always be used to give your actual e-mail address to someone, and then make your deals off the site.
I like purchasing my fish from this site, the 14 day guarantee makes getting fish on-line much safer then at the LFS. If you purchase from the pet store, the moment you walk out of the door, if it lives or dies, it's on your dime. Being able to keep your new fish for 14 days in a quarantine to make sure the fish will make it, is pricless.

snakeblitz33

Personally, I feel like there are other places out there for that kind of activity than this forum. This forum is designed to help people with their tanks, fish and fishy questions,... not for buying/selling/trading between individuals. I wouldn't risk posting stuff on this site to sell - because there are so many knowledgeable people here who can help you when something goes wrong... you don't want to get banned or anything. But, there are many other sites out there that allow buying/selling/trading that you may be interested in.

chadadams0507

They can order whatever I want, but if I was going to buy something with shipping cost attached, I'd just get exactly the specimen I want online instead of getting whatever happens to come into the store
Personally I would pay the extra at the store to see my fish, make sure it eats and its healthy. There is no guarantee wherever you go but at least you can examine before you buy. As far as a trading place I haven't had any luck so far. Didn't read everyone's response until after I posted but I now know this site offers a guarantee. I will be purchasing from here hopefully I won't need to use the guarantee but if I do I hope it's smooth. Has anyone had to use it? If so how did the process go?

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadadams0507 http:///t/394249/somewhere-to-sell-trade-my-fish#post_3510787
They can order whatever I want, but if I was going to buy something with shipping cost attached, I'd just get exactly the specimen I want online instead of getting whatever happens to come into the store
Personally I would pay the extra at the store to see my fish, make sure it eats and its healthy. There is no guarantee wherever you go but at least you can examine before you buy. As far as a trading place I haven't had any luck so far. Didn't read everyone's response until after I posted but I now know this site offers a guarantee. I will be purchasing from here hopefully I won't need to use the guarantee but if I do I hope it's smooth. Has anyone had to use it? If so how did the process go?
People have used it and had no issues. Meowzer, for example, buys everything for her tank online. You can ask her for her personal experiences.
It's nice to be able to examine a fish in person, I'll give you that. But if you're ordering from a reputable store, such as SWF, and you have a quarantine tank set up, the 14 day guarantee as opposed to the "it looked okay in the store" is definitely a nice cushion.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFyre http:///t/394249/somewhere-to-sell-trade-my-fish#post_3509574
Thanks for the pm's guys! I wasn't sure if the rule was against other companies, or if it was against individuals. For instance, would it be against the rules to advertise my personal fish for sale/trade here? In which case, would linking to craigslist be considered against the rules, since it is basically just a bunch of individuals?
I guess it is better to play it on the safe side. Again, thanks for the helpful pm's!
Yes, posting Craigslist links is against the rules. There is absolutely no selling or trading on this site, not even links to where you're doing it on other sites.
Technically PM'ing people and telling them where you're selling is also against the rules, so be careful stating that you are sending or receiving PM's guys! I know we all do it, but please don't hang it out there for everyone to see!

chaosfyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadadams0507 http:///t/394249/somewhere-to-sell-trade-my-fish#post_3510787
"Personally I would pay the extra at the store to see my fish, make sure it eats and its healthy. There is no guarantee wherever you go but at least you can examine before you buy."
There are some sites online that have pictures of the EXACT fish that you buy. Its pretty nifty. Still, $20, $30+ for shipping on top of the price of the fish is ridiculous. You're right about letting the fish store deal with it, its nice to see them in person. I had my LFS order me a lemon peel and a flame angel. Haven't decided if I'm going to get them yet... no loss for them though, people will be lining up to buy them when my hold period runs out.

chaosfyre

You guys are giving good advice about the guarantee. My LFS doesn't have one anymore though they used to, because some guy abused it. His fish would die every week and he'd just bring the dead fish in and trade for something new, so they stopped .... wonder if the dude was throwing them in fresh water tank or what...?
Anyway, a live guarantee for 14 days would be awesome. I'm headed into Houston this weekend to poke around at their fish stores and see what kind of things they offer.

ak_reefer

There is a shop here in Seattle that has a return policy as long as you bring proof of purchase and a water sample. So I'm sure you might find something like that in Houston. I didnt have a chance to check out any shops while I was back for the holidays are there several great shops there?
Also back in the day there use to be a classified section here on the forum.

chaosfyre

I found a place called Aquarium World in Houston. Surprise surprise, they do 1 week guarantees, and returns within 2 weeks, and I think store credit returns within a month. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

You cannot trade or sell pets on craigslist. I tried. I get reported everytime. I had to post the rules. I am not selling.. And i have to put i am rehoming because they do let you rehome them not sell them.

lmforbis

You can try to trade them to a local fish store or contact your local marine aquarium club. Many of them have selling forums.

somwan

Yes its against the rules to post buy and sell posts here however I don't think asking our opinions or advices are against the rules. Please correct me if im wrong guys.