sone of a .....

monsinour

I just broke my floating thermometer. The actual thermometer is intact and noting leaked into the tank. However, the glass broke and the black pellets fell to the bottom of the tank. I used my magnet cleaner to get as many of them as i could. I would imagine that this is nothing to worry about as the really smart thermometer makers chose to make these things out of materials that would be inert if introduced to our tanks. Tell me I am right and I dont really have to go in there and attempt to scoup out some sand all the remaining black pellets.

al&burke

Monsinour - I would maybe try to siphon the area where the pellets fell just to be on the safe side. I use digital one's on my reef tank, not to throw salt in the wound.

2quills

I just looked at one that I have and to me they look like they could be made out of lead. I'm not sure. But lead in a system in probably not a good thing. The siphon idea sounds like a good one to me. That is if the siphon will pick them up.

gill again68

Google the manufacturer if you can and see what it is. I would think lead as that would be the cheapest. Now how long before lead is going to hurt????
The safe thing is to get it out and that will get it off your mind. Just 2 cents from someone that had a couple to spare.

gemmy

I would siphon the sand as Al stated. The materials it could most likely be are iron, steel or lead.

monsinour

since i didnt have WC available to me, it was magnets to the rescue. I used the glass cleaner magnet on the outside of the glass and the syphon tube on the inside to move the sand and get the little balls over to the magnet. we got all of the little black balls i think. I also was able to scoup out the broken glass, Feeding the fish this morning, no one looks worse for wear. Will probably do a WC this coming week just to be sure.

novahobbies

Not to sound like a smarta$$ here, but..... lead isn't magnetic. If you were able to pick them up with a magnet, then they have a good amount of iron, or possibly nickel or cobalt in them. I seriously doubt they use stainless steel, but probably some nickel/iron blend.
To tell the truth, I've heard of this happening more than once. I don't think there's anything significantly harmful in there. Get as many as you can out, and don't be too worried if there are a couple left over.

dmanatee

make 100% sure that none of the red liquid got into the tank. I can tell you from experiance that when I worked at a LFS that we brokeon accedentaly in the goldfish tank and they all died very quickly. That being said, this thing shattered, but make sure you try and get everything out that fell in. best wishes!

monsinour

its all out and the fish all ate well for breakfast. I have been out in the snow with my kids since then and havent looked at the tank. 3-10" turned into a solid 9" of fine white powder. I plan on watching the tank here in a few to make sure that the fish are ok.
As far as the red stuff, i know none got into the tank as I saw the bottom of the thermometer and I put it into a glass of boiling water to see if any red stuff would come out and none did.