Sons Christmas Present

coraljunkie

Ok
I am going straight to the experts. My son is really hinting hard that we would like a Nano Reef for his room. Which tank would you guys suggest he get?
Thanks for your help in advance.

rebelprettyboy

Lookin for a nice system and wanna spend more than u would one like a biocube then a red Sea Max would be good. Or an aDA type tank...
But ease of course ur going to get our biased opinions. Im gonna tell u to get the 14 gal biocube! Cuz I have it and havent ever had any problems w it.
The aquapod guy willl telll you to get that.
So pretty much just do some research and pick which best fits what ur trying to do...

nitschke65

Three quick questions...
How old is your son?
How much fishkeeping experience do you both have?
Who (be honest) is going to do the maintenance on this tank?

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by rebelprettyboy
http:///forum/post/2807330
Lookin for a nice system and wanna spend more than u would one like a biocube then a red Sea Max would be good. Or an aDA type tank
But ease of course ur going to get our biased opinions. Im gonna tell u to get the 14 gal biocube! Cuz I have it and havent ever had any problems w it.
The aquapod guy willl telll you to get that.
So pretty much just do some research and pick which best fits what ur trying to do...
+1 ADA all the way... its your time to live vicariously and use your son as an excuse to spend money on it LOL...
www.adana-usa.com

coraljunkie

Originally Posted by nitschke65
http:///forum/post/2807335
Three quick questions...
How old is your son?
How much fishkeeping experience do you both have?
Who (be honest) is going to do the maintenance on this tank?
Son is 12
I have kept a Saltwater reef for the last 10 yrs
He wil be responsible for the maintenance with my help of course.

keri

I have to say that the only experience with nano systems that I have had was with my biocube and it's been all positive. Even when I had a ballast blow I had No issues getting it replaced by the company

subielover

Originally Posted by CoralJunkie
http:///forum/post/2807387
Would like to stay under $500
I have a Biocube and have not had any issues with it. However I did mod the crap out of it

With that budget I am looking at the Finnex 20 Gal M-Tank, it's got a built in refugium, metal halides and a t-5 actinic. He could keep whatever he wanted. You can buy that with a stand for right around $500, give or take $10 bucks

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by CoralJunkie
http:///forum/post/2807387
Would like to stay under $500
$500 goes a long way...
New ADA 60-P tank $110
Used 70w viper MH light $75
New astrolux 14,000k or phoenix 14,000k bulb ~$50
20lbs rock@$2/lb= $40 (check on marsh for all the dying IKE tanks har har)
live sand... free-$20 once again... IKE tanks!!!
drill the side for a glassholes nano over flow $45
return pump maxijet 1200 $15 used
10gallon sump... free-$10
locline $30 w/ return bulkhead

[hr]
$395 so far
maybe a koralia nano if you need it... $10 used
CUC=10 astrea snails, 6 nassarius snails, 5 cerith snails, buy them "used." $15 LOL
Still get some zoas, ricordeas, LPS, etc.. buy them "used" $60
get two clowns? maybe? used.. $20 for both

[hr]
$500

nitschke65

Seems like a pretty awesome opportunity to teach your son about planning and budgeting. At twelve, he's certainly been to the lfs with you enough to know how much a lot of the parts and pieces will cost. Have you asked him specifically what he thinks would be appropriate for someone his age? Maybe he'll suprise you and have the answer to the question you brought to the "experts" all figured out for you.

vgl12

hey im 12 two..... i got the 29g oceanic biocube it's amazing! i've had some problems but a dad like you can help! if you need any more info about the cost or website just msg me.i know a website that has if for like $ 300-400 bucks! so plz msg me!

subielover

Outside links are not permitted, you can delete the link by going back and editing it, otherwise the thread will be deleted.

silverdak

ADA tank!!!! those look so cool!!! I almost wish I got one.. have you looked at the Biocubes at all?? they have the fintration, lights all built in and you dont have to worry about drilling into a $100 tank either... I dont like the idea of it, but it has been done a million times without issues. there is some good books out there too, maybe get a few of thsoe at X-mas then go with him to pick stuff out after X-mas??

perfectdark

JBJ HQI Nano 28 gal... comes with a protein skimmer. Most of the modifications done to the cube tanks result in what this tank gives you from the get go.
Im not a fan of the ADA tanks especially for a kids bedroom. JMO.