sooo confused!!!!

scottgotts

:help:
ok will someone please explain to me if my cycle has even started yet!!
I have had my tank set up for about a week and have 7 pounds of LR(my tank is a 29 gallon) I put food in and can see it rotting (shrimp pellets and flake food) and some white algea is growing on the rocks. i have a 4 in one testing kit which Provides; nitrate, nitrite, alkalinity, and pH level. all seem normal or around there but my alkalinity is really high and i do not know what this means! my nitrite was a little high a few days ago but went down and i have no idea if my cycle started or if it is over! and one more thing do i have to buy a testing kit to test for amonia?? my thx will be givin to anyone who leaves feedback

fishieness

you do need to get a test for amonia, that will be the first to kick in, once that spikes and then dropps, then your nitrates iwll do the same thing, then your cycle will be over and will take a few more weeks. You are reading nitrates though, this means that some amonia has registered and is being converted to nitrates.
The 4 in one thing is a test strip isnt it.... test strips are not the most accurate way of finding your levels...... it will cost a lot more, but could prove benificial to get individual testers

dea_mt

it is possible but it is good to avoid it. you can avoid it by getting a protein skimmer and having a deep sand bed and a good clean up crew. nassarius snails are good for eating left over food and even fish poop!!!

fishieness

no it does not mean that the cycle has gone through.... it means it is just starting.... get an anomia tester, when amonia, nitrites, and nitrates all read 0 after a few weeks of normal feedings, then the cycle will be complete.

scottgotts

Originally Posted by fishieness
get an anomia tester, when amonia, nitrites, and nitrates all read 0 after a few weeks of normal feedings, then the cycle will be complete.
then i can get fish or inverts????
and do i need any other testers besides amonia???

carshark

depends on what your goal is, alkalinity and calcium tests are crucial with reef set ups for corals, but it can always help to have them with a FOWLR set up, also what are you using to test your salinity with? i hope a refractometer, but if you are using a hydrometer remember this will get you by with a FOWLR set up but in the long run a refractometer will be beneficial as hydrometers over time or even in the beginning arent accurate. by the way id invest in about 30 more LBS of live rock, just a thought.

fishieness

hey carshark.... i have a quick question....... sorry for the hijack but it will only take one respose...... what is the main difference between refractometters. I have seen two different ones on the same site, one was 35, and the other was 120 bucks!!! the one at my LFS is 90...... is there realy taht big of a difference with one?
i have been lookign into getting one intently

fishieness

oo, forgot to actualy awnser the question......
after everything is at 0, get your clean-up crew (hermits, snails, ect). Then wait at least one week where everything will remain at 0, keep feeding the tank. Then add one fish. add one fish every month or so at the quickest!

carshark

hey carshark.... i have a quick question....... sorry for the hijack but it will only take one respose...... what is the main difference between refractometters. I have seen two different ones on the same site, one was 35, and the other was 120 bucks!!! the one at my LFS is 90...... is there realy taht big of a difference with one?
i have been lookign into getting one intently

well the only difference i see is if it has ATC, automatic temperature compensation, for most are calibrated at 68 degrees F. i would use a refract with an ATC, once calibrated you dont need to have an adjustment for temperature to get a correct reading, it does it for you!!, now watch out when looking for a refractometer, pay attention some measure sucrose, like for beekeepers to test their honey!

fishieness

hmm... both the ones i found adjsuted automaticly..... one was on sale form 60, and the other was 110, not 120.... but that is still a difference of 50 bucks!

carshark

hmm... both the ones i found adjsuted automaticly..... one was on sale form 60, and the other was 110, not 120.... but that is still a difference of 50 bucks!
id have to see them, mine was 40 bucks shipped brand new from a popular auction site.. retail was 125(i looked it up on several sites), it has a very nice carrying case, and is all metal design, so i dont know what to tell you. maybe post the brand and do a little research, let me know!