Southdown makes water Cloudy!!

benihuma

I just bought 150 lbs of southdown playsand and added about 30 lbs to my existing tank...man, my water is so cloudy now. With all the other expensive live sands I used this never really happened. I'm thinking it's because the southdown is really fine. I'm just worried cuz my clown trigger is going crazy, bumping into the glass and breathing heavy. Anyone else have this happen with southdown?
Ben

fish fry

I'm not sure about the fish health, although I would guess that it can't be good. Getting into their gills, stressing them out.
I just added some SD to a new tank it was about 4-6 days before it really cleared. If you add some mechanical filtration, or floss it will speed up the process.
HTH
Fish Fry

Your fish would be fine it takes a couple days to clear up don't worry I went through this same thing.
I was wondering is it really worth it. Yeah, the price is good but when I mix my sand up(3" of l/s mixed with SD) it still clouds my tank for a day or two. I added l/s after I had added the SD and It took one day to clear-up. JMO.
Oh, don't add it all at once that wouldn't be good. I'm not sure the amount per dosage but add it gradually.