Southdown sand

redarizona

:notsure: Hi there...I live in Arizona, and I currently have a fairly new 100 gal SW with crushed coral...I know that it is ok to have, but very time consuming keeping it clean...I have been reading about Southdown and read on the site that it is not available on the west coast...Did a search and I can't find it at all...please help...I would like to change, and can't afford the live sand, and had a few bumps with tank, so right now just have cleaner crew, and fish in hospital tank and this would be a good time to switch out...I also have live rock...thanks...

flydan

Hey,
I don't know if this is much help, but you don't need all live sand. (Southdown isn't ls.) You can use other sand that most lfs's should carry. Usually aragonite sand, just make sure it's for sw tanks. Then just get a cup or two of established ls from another tank and seed your sand bed with it
HTH,
Dan'l

redarizona

:happy: Hey FlyDan...My lfs has arognite but it costs about 50.00$ a bag from him...Is that normal...I didn't necessarily need live sand but the southdown sounds great at about $5.00/50 lbs...any other names...

flydan

Hey,
There is a post a few down from this one entitled "Buying the right sand."
Looks like it should also answer your question.
HTH,
Dan'l

redarizona

Hi...thanks FlyDan...I'll check it out...however I must tell you that my lfs said that I should be wary about internet info, but this site is what has helped me the most...

flydan

Hey,
MOST people on this site have a real passion for swf and are not trying to sell you something. You may get a few different opinions but there isn't one right way to this hobby. Some folks still run UGF on their sw tanks and it works for them even though the other 90% of the people here will groan.
FWIW,
Dan'l
BTW, there is a search button on the top of this screen as well as a FAQ button. Both should be of help to you. The same questions get asked over and over and over....